Co-op Education Program: Pros & Cons for Mathematics Majors

• Thread starter Sisyphus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Education
In summary, the person is considering whether or not to do a co-op program and has heard both pros and cons. They decide to do a co-op and are excited about the potential benefits, such as having work experience and being able to graduate faster.
Sisyphus
The university that I will be attending starting September has a co-operative education program, whereby students in certain programs find employment through the school in industry or within the universiry in related fields, and go on work/study rotations during their studies in university. I applied to the co-op program thinking that it's easier to opt out of co-op after you've already been accepted than try to get in during your studies.

Now's the time to start to seriously consider my options. There are pros and cons to both sides.

If I choose to forget the idea and go the traditional route, I'll be graduating in just less than 4 years (it takes 4 years and 8 months to finish your average Honours degree in the co-op streams), will have free summers, and my studies will be more continuous (since I won't be gone for extended periods of time). I won't have to be moving around every 4 months, and in addition I'll have the option of studying over the summer (since the school is centred around the co-op system, the school functions all year round) so that I can graduate even faster.

On the other hand, if I decide to follow through with the program, I could potentially get valuable work experience (either in industry or research), and help pay for my education as I go along.

If it helps, I'm going into a mathematics program, and I found a list of what kind of jobs students in the past have found through the program here: "here"[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Personally I think it would be extremely useful to have the work experience. Who cares if you get your degree faster if the only thing you can do is coursework? I think having the work experience would better your chances of being employed after you graduate.

I was in your shoes last year trying to weigh the pros and cons of a co-op. I knew that it would basically add another year on to my schooling but it might jumpstart my career upon graduation. In the end I decided to do it and I can't give you a real "look back" on my decision yet because I just started last week but its been great so far.

I have been assigned to work side by side with an engineer in my field, If I learn half as much every week as I did last week I'm going to be set after graduation. I've already spent 2 of the 5 days on site at power plants (I'm a ME major). It really helps clear a lot of things up if you see it in motion.

I guess I knew that I made the right decision when I was interviewing for the position (great interview experience too). Every employer I talked to was really excited about the oppertunity for the company and the student. They really do distinguish between co-op and non co-op student after graduation. Many of them told me that the Universities put out "smart but useless" people. The first year you are pretty much useless as an engineer, that's why its so hard to get that first job. They look at a co-op student as basically having a year of experience.

Many employers told me that they never hire graduates right out of school, they keep their co-ops or they hire someone with experience. Its worth your time in my opinion and I have never heard anything negative about the experience. It would be interesting the hear from someone who has completed a co-op and can reflect.

Consider me convinced. I think I'm going to go for it. Thanks a lot for your replies!

1. What is a co-op education program?

A co-op education program is a type of educational experience that integrates classroom learning with practical work experience. It allows students to work in their field of study while still completing their degree, typically alternating between periods of academic study and work terms.

2. What are the pros of a co-op education program for mathematics majors?

The pros of a co-op education program for mathematics majors include gaining hands-on experience in the field, building a professional network, increasing job prospects after graduation, and potentially earning a salary while still in school. It also allows students to apply their theoretical knowledge to real-world problems and challenges.

3. Are there any cons of a co-op education program for mathematics majors?

Some potential cons of a co-op education program for mathematics majors include a longer time to complete the degree due to alternating work terms, potential conflicts between work schedules and academic schedules, and the possibility of not being able to secure a co-op position in a desired field.

4. How does a co-op education program benefit mathematics majors specifically?

A co-op education program can benefit mathematics majors by providing them with practical skills and experience that can make them more competitive in the job market. It also offers the opportunity to explore different areas of mathematics and potentially discover a new passion or specialization.

5. Are co-op education programs available for all mathematics majors?

It ultimately depends on the specific university or college. Some institutions may have co-op education programs available for all mathematics majors, while others may only offer it for certain specializations. It is important to research and inquire about co-op opportunities when considering enrolling in a mathematics program.