Crush Cocoa Puffs with Compressed Air – Science Project

• Thread starter tionis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collapse
In summary: You should talk to an expert about this.In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of building a transparent, pressurized box to pulverize a box of cocoa puffs with compressed air for a science project. The speaker is unsure if it can be done safely and asks for thoughts. Another person suggests using a thin stream of air to rotate the cereal, but doubts if it can be accomplished. The conversation concludes with the suggestion to seek advice from an expert.
tionis
Gold Member
For a science project/competition, my friend and I have the chance of building a kick butt device to dazzle the judges. Because I'm nuts about relativity and black holes (or maybe just nuts o0)), I thought maybe we could go for broke and build a transparent, pressurized box to pulverize the contents of a box of cocoa puffs cereal with nothing but compressed air. It would also be nice if we can make the cereal rotate as it is being crushed by the air. But because of the pressures involved, and the nightmare of sourcing parts and stuff, I'm not sure if it can be safely done or done at all, but I thought I ask anyways. Thoughts? :woot:

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Well if you pressured the box by inserting a very thin stream of air you might get some rotation before the pressure builds up too much but just off the top of my head I think the rotation would stop before the collapse occurred because the air would be dense enough by then that the stream wouldn't have as much effect. Just a thought.

Likes Michelle Teller and tionis
tionis said:
I'm not sure if it can be safely done
If you have to ask on an Internet forum, then the answer is probably no.

Likes tionis

1. What is the purpose of this science project?

The purpose of this science project is to observe the effects of compressed air on Crush Cocoa Puffs and understand the scientific principles behind it.

2. What materials are needed for this experiment?

The materials needed for this experiment are Crush Cocoa Puffs, compressed air canister, a container, and a measuring device.

3. How do you conduct the experiment?

To conduct the experiment, place the Cocoa Puffs in a container and use the compressed air canister to blow the air onto the cereal. Measure the distance between the canister and the cereal to see the effects of the compressed air.

4. What are the expected results of this experiment?

The expected results may vary, but generally the compressed air will cause the Cocoa Puffs to break into smaller pieces or disintegrate completely, depending on the force of the air.

5. What scientific concepts can be learned from this project?

This project can teach about the properties of air and pressure, as well as the physical changes that occur when force is applied to an object. It also demonstrates the relationship between distance and force, and the concept of kinetic energy.