Coefficient of Friction of object sliding down ramp

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
16 replies · 10K views
grr_physics
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Coefficient of Friction of object sliding down ramp.. need help!

Homework Statement


An 10.0kg object slides down an inclined plane that is 10.0m in length. THe height of the incline is 6.0m and the speed of the object at the bottom is 9.0 m/s.
What is the coefficient of friction of this incline?
So far I found:
Energy lost due to friction= 183.6 J
Force of friction= 18 N

Can someone show me how to find the coefficient of friction ASAP please? This is an advance question in my class for bonus marks & I NEED those bonus marks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
How to find coefficient of friction of object sliding down ramp? Please Help!

Homework Statement


An 10.0kg object slides down an inclined plane that is 10.0m in length. THe height of the incline is 6.0m and the speed of the object at the bottom is 9.0 m/s.
What is the coefficient of friction of this incline?
So far I found:
Energy lost due to friction= 183.6 J
Force of friction= 18 N

Can someone show me how to find the coefficient of friction ASAP please? This is an advance question in my class for bonus marks & I NEED those bonus marks.
 


oh yeah i also found the angle at the bottom is 36.869... degrees if that helps.
 


oh yeah i also found the angle at the bottom is 36.869... degrees if that helps
 


The formula relating friction force and coefficient of friction is: f = u*Fn, where f is the friction force, u is mu(coefficient of friction), and Fn is the normal force.
 


how do I find the normal force?
I just started physics 30 & totally forget everything... :(
 


okay i did tried this:

Fn= (10.0kg)(cos(36.869...degrees))(9.81)
= 78.48...N

u=F/Fn
=0.22935...

is this correct?
 


the normal force is the force the object exerts on whatever surface it rests. In other words, its mass(i.e. m*g)
 


Ok, Fn is the normal force acting on the object perpendicular to the incline. Call that direction the 'y' axis, and the direction along the incline will be the 'x' axis. In the y direction, there is no acceleration, so Newton's first law applies. Identify all the forces or force components in the y direction (what are they?) and set their sum equal to 0 to solve for Fn .
 


okay i did tried this:

Fn= (10.0kg)(cos(36.869...degrees))(9.81)
= 78.48...N

u=F/Fn
=0.22935...

is this correct?
 


I don't know the other forces, only the top mechanical energy & bottom mechanical energy
 


grr_physics said:
okay i did tried this:

Fn= (10.0kg)(cos(36.869...degrees))(9.81)
= 78.48...N

u=F/Fn
=0.22935...

is this correct?
You didn't need the hint, nice job! Just be sure to round off the coefficient to one (or 2 at the most) decimal places.
 


grr_physics said:
I don't know the other forces, only the top mechanical energy & bottom mechanical energy
Oh, how did you find Fn if you didn't know the other force acting? Did you look it up somewhere?
 


i figured out the 18 N in class but I don't remember how but thanks a bunch for the help, even though u say I didn't need the hint, your hint made me think & brought back everything! =)