Coefficient of kinetic friction on inclined plane

Why would the coefficient of kinetic friction be larger for an inclined plane versus a horizontal plane?
Would it be related to the material? I thought initially it was something to do with the force of gravity… but apparently that's not it :(
Thanks so much in advance!

Answers and Replies

Hi Melanie.H. Welcome to Physics Forums.
Why would the coefficient of kinetic friction be larger for an inclined plane versus a horizontal plane?

It's not.
Would it be related to the material?
Yes. It is related to the two materials that are in sliding contact.
I thought initially it was something to do with the force of gravity… but apparently that's not it :(
No. That's right.

Chet

Thanks! :D I was just wondering because for an experiment I actually got that it was bigger for the inclined plane….

Thanks! :D I was just wondering because for an experiment I actually got that it was bigger for the inclined plane….
In the real world, the coefficient of kinetic friction also depends on the relative velocity between the sliding surfaces.

Chet

Hm, interesting! That would also contribute to some of the limits of how large the coefficient can be then?

Hm, interesting! That would also contribute to some of the limits of how large the coefficient can be then?
I don't think so. That depends on the materials that are in contact.

Chet

Okay, that makes sense :)

Oh, I suppose I should have mentioned for my original question that the block was being pulled up or across the plane at a constant velocity… would this change anything?

Oh, I suppose I should have mentioned for my original question that the block was being pulled up or across the plane at a constant velocity… would this change anything?
No.