Coefficient of volumetric expansion of gasoline at different temperatures

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equation for the final volume of a substance after a change in temperature, as well as different approaches to solving the problem. The conversation also mentions a previous similar problem and the importance of considering the change in mass. The final conclusion is that the equation ##\rho_i V_i=\rho_f V_f## is crucial in solving the task.
Doshke
Homework Statement
Task: The weight of gasoline at 0 ° C is 88N. At 60 °C the weight of the same volume of gasoline is 83N. What is the coefficient of volume expansion of gasoline?
Relevant Equations
in the picture below are
I tried to solve the task in different ways, I had different ideas but none of them led me to the correct solution.

I would be grateful if someone would explain at least the initial part of the task to me.
20210214_192546.jpg

True answer: 10-3K-1

Physics news on Phys.org
Where does the equation ##\frac{m_0}{m_1}=1.06## come from? There is no change to the mass.

You have the right equation relating the final volume to the initial volume, ##V_f=V_i(1+\beta \Delta T).## I think the easiest way to proceed from here is to find ##V_f## assuming constant mass. Then ##\rho_i V_i=\rho_f V_f.## Perhaps you can continue from here on your own.

Likes Doshke
haruspex said:
Where does the equation ##\frac{m_0}{m_1}=1.06## come from? There is no change to the mass.
The problem doesn't say anything to this effect, but it is instinctive to think that the gasoline is contained in a tank and some of the fluid spilling over when the temperature rises. (That was my impulsive original thought.) I have seen a similar problem in which both gasoline and tank expand and one has to find the amount of spilled gasoline.

kuruman said:
The problem doesn't say anything to this effect, but it is instinctive to think that the gasoline is contained in a tank and some of the fluid spilling over when the temperature rises. (That was my impulsive original thought.) I have seen a similar problem in which both gasoline and tank expand and one has to find the amount of spilled gasoline.
Yes, I should have been clearer.
@Doshke's algebra started by taking mass constant and computing the change in volume. That would have worked, but it then switched to taking it as a change in mass. That also would work, but unfortunately the two approaches got interwoven and cancelled, leading to the loss of the 1.06 factor.

Likes Doshke
kuruman said:
You have the right equation relating the final volume to the initial volume, ##V_f=V_i(1+\beta \Delta T).## I think the easiest way to proceed from here is to find ##V_f## assuming constant mass. Then ##\rho_i V_i=\rho_f V_f.## Perhaps you can continue from here on your own.

Thank you for your help @haruspex @kuruman I managed to do the task.
This observation saved me
##\rho_i V_i=\rho_f V_f.##

Likes kuruman

What is the coefficient of volumetric expansion of gasoline?

The coefficient of volumetric expansion of gasoline is a measure of how much the volume of gasoline changes as its temperature changes. It is typically denoted by the symbol α and has units of 1/°C.

Why is the coefficient of volumetric expansion important for gasoline?

The coefficient of volumetric expansion is important for gasoline because it affects the accuracy of fuel measurements and can also impact the performance of engines. As gasoline heats up, it expands and takes up more space, which can lead to overfilling of fuel tanks and inaccurate fuel readings.

How does the coefficient of volumetric expansion of gasoline vary with temperature?

The coefficient of volumetric expansion of gasoline increases as temperature increases. This means that gasoline will expand more at higher temperatures compared to lower temperatures. The exact value of the coefficient also varies slightly depending on the type of gasoline.

Can the coefficient of volumetric expansion of gasoline be measured?

Yes, the coefficient of volumetric expansion of gasoline can be measured experimentally. This is typically done by heating a sample of gasoline to different temperatures and measuring the change in volume. The results can then be used to calculate the coefficient of volumetric expansion.

How do changes in temperature affect the volume of gasoline?

Changes in temperature have a significant impact on the volume of gasoline due to its coefficient of volumetric expansion. As the temperature increases, the volume of gasoline also increases, and vice versa. This is an important consideration for storage and transportation of gasoline, as well as for accurate fuel measurements.