Avg Coefficient of Volumetric Expansion

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with finding the correct answer for a question involving the volumetric expansion of gasoline. The person discussing the problem has found the answer to be incorrect and within 10% of the actual value, and is seeking assistance in finding the error. The conversation also touches upon the difficulty in calculating the volumetric expansion of gasoline in its gaseous form and the lack of available information on this topic.
k0b3
I really don't know what the problem is with these questions but I seem to be getting within 10% of the correct answer. Here is an example question:

The density of gasoline is 730 kg/m3 at 0°C. Its average coefficient of volume expansion is 9.60 10-4 / C°. Assume 1.00 gal of gasoline occupies 0.00380 m3 How many extra kilograms of gasoline would you get if you bought 15.0 gal of gasoline at 0°C rather than at 22.0°C from a pump that is not temperature compensated?

Converting to KG then using the volumetric expansion equation (change if V = V times beta times delta T), I got the answer .879. I checked with friends and what not and they all seem to be getting the same answer but it says it's wrong and within 10% of the value. I get the same incorrect response for other very similar problems. Anyone know what is wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi k0b3,

k0b3 said:
I really don't know what the problem is with these questions but I seem to be getting within 10% of the correct answer. Here is an example question:

The density of gasoline is 730 kg/m3 at 0°C. Its average coefficient of volume expansion is 9.60 10-4 / C°. Assume 1.00 gal of gasoline occupies 0.00380 m3 How many extra kilograms of gasoline would you get if you bought 15.0 gal of gasoline at 0°C rather than at 22.0°C from a pump that is not temperature compensated?

Converting to KG then using the volumetric expansion equation (change if V = V times beta times delta T), I got the answer .879. I checked with friends and what not and they all seem to be getting the same answer but it says it's wrong and within 10% of the value. I get the same incorrect response for other very similar problems. Anyone know what is wrong?

It's difficult to follow what you did since there are no intermediate results in your post, but it seems to me that you found that there were more kg of gasoline in the tank at the hotter temperature. Can you see that that can't be true? As it expands, a specified volume of gasoline will weigh less and have less mass.

To solve this, think about what quantity is actually changing in this problem (besides the mass change that you are asked for). If you don't get the right answer, please post the numbers you got and the values you multiplied together to get them, for both temperatures.

you base numbers are good//they correspond to a density of 0.730 g/cc. at 0C. therefore a cc will expand to 1.022cc at 22C...or a density of 0.714. The heat value of a hydrocarbon is around 11 kcal per gram so you wouild lose about 2% if in fact this were the case. However except in very unusual circumstances, like fresh delivery from a warm truck, the temperature of gas delivered at the pump stays remarkably close to underground temperatures down 5 or 6 feet.

Okay, let's extend this one step further.

I am trying to figure out how much total expansion I would get from liquid gasoline at 21.1C (70F) after it is heated up to 204.4C (400F).

The equation you are using only seems to hold-up for temperatures where gas is a liquid. After I have turned the gasoline into a vapor, how do I compute it's volumetric expansion with temperature? What formula would I use?

In other words, if I have 1 cubic foot of vaporsied gasoline at 100C, how many cubic feet do I have at 200C?

Thanks,
Gene

climer97007 said:
I am trying to figure out how much total expansion I would get from liquid gasoline at 21.1C (70F) after it is heated up to 204.4C (400F).

The gas law equations only seem to hold-up where gasoline stays as a liquid, or has already been converted to a vapor. Ican find nothing to help explain or predict what happens in the transition phase from liquid to a gaseous form.

What I am working on is figuring out what the liquid-to-gas expansion ratio is for gasoline and its constituent substances. One cubic foot of liquid gasoline equals how many cubic feet of gaseous gasoline? What about Toluene? Benzene? Xylene? Etc... I figure the ratios are 100's to 1. But, what are they? Anyone have a table of ratios for various liquids? Thanks, Gene

What is the average coefficient of volumetric expansion?

The average coefficient of volumetric expansion is a measure of how much a material's volume changes when its temperature changes. It is represented by the symbol α and is typically measured in units of 1/K (kelvin).

How is the average coefficient of volumetric expansion calculated?

The average coefficient of volumetric expansion is calculated by dividing the change in volume (ΔV) by the initial volume (V0) and the change in temperature (ΔT). This can be expressed as α = (ΔV/V0)/ΔT.

Why is the average coefficient of volumetric expansion important?

The average coefficient of volumetric expansion is important because it helps us understand how a material will behave when exposed to temperature changes. It is also essential in the design and construction of structures and devices, as it can predict how much a material will expand or contract under different temperature conditions.

How does the average coefficient of volumetric expansion differ between materials?

The average coefficient of volumetric expansion can vary greatly between different materials. This is because each material has its own unique atomic and molecular structure, which affects how it responds to changes in temperature. For example, materials with a more tightly packed atomic structure tend to have a lower coefficient of volumetric expansion compared to those with a looser structure.

What factors can affect the average coefficient of volumetric expansion?

Some factors that can affect the average coefficient of volumetric expansion include the material's composition, structure, and temperature range. Other external factors such as pressure and external forces can also influence the coefficient of expansion. Additionally, the average coefficient of volumetric expansion may change over time due to aging or exposure to certain environmental conditions.