1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coeffiecent of Kinetic Friction Problem

1. Dec 12, 2009 #1
    1. A car is traveling at 15 meters/second on a horizontal road. The brakes are applied and the car sids to a stop in 4 seconds. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the tires and the road is

2. Coefficient of kinetic friction = friction / Normal Force

3. Time to stop / Velocity = 4/15 = .2666. The correct answer is roughly .38, but I have no idea on how to arrive at that.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2009 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Where does this equation come from? v = at. Solve for a, then apply Newton's 2nd law to the car.

4. Dec 12, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the help. I really had no idea how to answer this problem. I am confused on what do after solving for acceleration because I could not find a way to determine the force or the mass of the car.

5. Dec 12, 2009 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You may not need to know the mass, write out Newton's 2nd for the car. The force acting on the car is the friction force, which is slowing it down (decelerating it) to a stop.
    And by the way,welcome to PF!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  6. Dec 12, 2009 #5
    Thank you, and I was able to figure it out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook