1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coherent States (Quantum Fields)

1. Dec 7, 2013 #1
    [itex]\Huge[/itex]1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a state of the EM field which satisfies
    [itex]\left\langle \textbf{E}_x(\vec{r})\right\rangle =f(\vec{r})[/itex]

Find a coherent state which satises these expectation values.

2. Relevant equations

[itex] \textbf{E}(\textbf{r})=\frac{i}{\sqrt{2 V}}\sum _{\textbf{k},\lambda } \sqrt{\omega _k}\left(e^{-i \textbf{k}\textbf{ r}} a^{\dagger }{}_{\textbf{k},\lambda } \hat{\epsilon }^*{}_{\textbf{k},\lambda }+e^{-i \textbf{k}\textbf{r}} a_{\textbf{k},\lambda } \hat{\epsilon }_{\textbf{k},\lambda }\right)[/itex]

Coherent State :

[itex]a|\alpha \rangle =\alpha |\alpha \rangle[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to calculate this , but i just don't understand what am I suppose to prove here?
    isn't it trivial that the expectation value will be a function of r (vector) ?

I've got this :
    [itex]
    \left\langle \textbf{E}_x(r)\right\rangle =\sum _{k,\lambda } \sqrt{\frac{2 \omega _k}{V}} \textbf{Im}\left(\alpha e^{-i k r} \epsilon _{x_{k,\lambda }}\right)[/itex]

Thank you !

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2013 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

The point is to find a coherent state such that the expectation value of the electric-field components (operators) take the given (classical) field [itex]f[/itex].

4. Dec 7, 2013 #3
    I still don't understand where is it given ?
    it's just a "new name" for <Ex> , isn't it?

of course the expectation value won't be an operator... so I dont see whats so special here or what should I do ...

or f(r) is a known function in Electrodynamics that i should know ?

Thank u ....

5. Dec 7, 2013 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

No, it's not a known function. You just assume a function [itex]\vec{f}(t,\vec{x})[/itex] and look for a coherent state [itex]|\psi[/itex] of the electromagnetic field such that
    [tex]\langle \psi | \hat{\vec{E}}|\psi \rangle=\vec{f}(t,\vec{x}).[/tex]

6. Dec 7, 2013 #5
    but according to the defination of the electric field , any coherent state will lead to such an expectation value because it's an eigen-state of the annihilation operator.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  7. Dec 7, 2013 #6
    As u can see , my result is depended on r (vector) for an arbitrary coherent state |alpha>...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted