Coincedence Counter in Double Slit Experiment?

This is because, in this type of experiment, the photons are sent one at a time and are able to interfere with themselves. Therefore, a coincidence counter is not necessary for determining interference or lack of interference in this experiment.
Jamesc320010
I have what I believe is a simple question about the single photon (at a time) double slit experiment. This experiment does not use a coincidence counter correct? I understand that one, or more, is used for entanglement experiments, but is one necessary to determine an interference or lack of interference pattern?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jamesc320010 said:
I have what I believe is a simple question about the single photon (at a time) double slit experiment. This experiment does not use a coincidence counter correct? I understand that one, or more, is used for entanglement experiments, but is one necessary to determine an interference or lack of interference pattern?

Welcome to PhysicsForums, Jamesc320010!

You are correct: no coincidence counter is needed to see an interference pattern from single photon interference.

FAQ: Coincedence Counter in Double Slit Experiment?

What is a coincidence counter in a double slit experiment?

A coincidence counter is a device used in a double slit experiment to record the number of coincident events between two detectors. It helps scientists measure the interference pattern produced by the experiment.

How does a coincidence counter work in a double slit experiment?

A coincidence counter works by simultaneously detecting particles or photons that pass through both slits and hit two separate detectors. It then records the number of coincident events between the two detectors, which are used to create the interference pattern.

Why is a coincidence counter important in a double slit experiment?

A coincidence counter is important because it allows scientists to accurately measure the interference pattern produced by the experiment. Without it, it would be difficult to distinguish between particles that passed through one slit or the other, and the interference pattern would not be as clear.

What are the limitations of a coincidence counter in a double slit experiment?

One limitation of a coincidence counter is that it can only measure coincident events between two detectors, so it may not capture all the particles that pass through the slits. Additionally, it may be affected by background noise or other sources of interference.

Can a coincidence counter be used in other experiments besides the double slit experiment?

Yes, a coincidence counter can be used in other experiments that involve detecting coincident events, such as in quantum entanglement experiments or in nuclear physics experiments. However, it may not be necessary in all experiments and may have different configurations depending on the specific experiment.

Back