Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cold outside, warm inside

1. Nov 9, 2007 #1
    Hi,
    Something weird happened the other week and I was wondering if anyone here could explain why. I run a pub and our cellar operates at about a steady 11°c all year round (cooler assisted). The other week we were enjoying some pleasant weather for the time of year(16/17°c) then wham! in the space of about 15/20 mins the outside temp dropped to 9°c. The next thing I know someone complains that the beer is warm, I roll my eyes and to pacify them say I'll check the gas, I go to the cellar and the temp is nudging 16°c(in a heatwave[30°c] it only gets to 13°c)
    So in a general physics kind of way, what went on?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2007 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I know of no thernodynamic reason for this - perhaps a heater went on somewhere? Did you make sure you still had cold air coming out of the air conditioner?

4. Nov 9, 2007 #3

Mk

I wouldn't be surprised if our Earth sciences section could easily explain this.

5. Nov 9, 2007 #4
    All I know is I wish I could drink in your country (wherever it is). Here in America, people keep beer at about 2C and it's Godawful! There's no taste left when it's that cold.

6. Nov 9, 2007 #5
    TVP45
    I've heard that on the east coast over there(NY) there are some pubs serving traditional English beers at 11c with all the flavour intact and Mr Beckham says you can get them now in California(though if you are in the middle[USA] it might mean quite a bus trip lol)

7. Nov 9, 2007 #6
    Cheers MK Ive posted there now too

8. Nov 9, 2007 #7

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The cold snap turned off your cooling system.
    For some reason, it was slow getting back on.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?