Cold water tastes better than warm

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference in taste between cold and warm water and how it may be due to the numbing of taste buds. It also mentions the historical popularity of ice and iced water in various cultures, possibly as a way to combat hot weather. The conversation also touches on the use of ice for shipping and storing food and drinks and the labor involved in obtaining it. The speaker suggests that there may be a primal reason for our preference for cold water.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
To me cold water tastes nice, but leave it for a few minutes to warm (slightly) and it tastes horrible, is this just my taste, or do you find the same, if yes why does it taste different?

Physics news on Phys.org

I suspect that the cold simply numbs your taste buds a bit. That would also explain why something like icecream tastes better if you let it thaw a bit.

i don't know how universal it is, but it is at least mentioned in the bible, way before refrigeration. may be an adaptation against drinking contaminated water. you'd expect cold sources of water to have fewer pathogens, right?

Proton Soup said:
i don't know how universal it is, but it is at least mentioned in the bible, way before refrigeration.
Ice and iced water have been popular with rulers and other rich folk from way back (~ 3000BC) in Mesopotamia, through the Egyptians, Greeks, Romans, Chinese/Mongols, Mughals and most of medieval Europe (and in all cases, the ice had to be shipped over from the nearest mountains).

In most of these cases (particularly in Egypt, the Middle East and India), it was likely just the natural antidote to really hot weather.

Gokul43201 said:
Ice and iced water have been popular with rulers and other rich folk from way back (~ 3000BC) in Mesopotamia, through the Egyptians, Greeks, Romans, Chinese/Mongols, Mughals and most of medieval Europe (and in all cases, the ice had to be shipped over from the nearest mountains).

In most of these cases (particularly in Egypt, the Middle East and India), it was likely just the natural antidote to really hot weather.

wasn't aware of that. stories of say the french making ice cream type desserts with ice shipped in from the alps isn't too surprising, but getting it to egypt seems extravagant unless I'm less familiar with the geography than i think i am.

Proton Soup said:
wasn't aware of that. stories of say the french making ice cream type desserts with ice shipped in from the alps isn't too surprising, but getting it to egypt seems extravagant unless I'm less familiar with the geography than i think i am.
Extravagant? What would you call making a hundred thousand slaves haul millions of tons of rock for over a dozen years, to build a giant box with a tolerance of better than 0.1% on all dimensions, to chuck your carcass into?

slaves

Not by what they said on National Geographic.

It's not hard to ship ice. Maine used to be the lumber capitol of the new world and its ice capitol. Those distinctions were related because a major use for sawdust from the sawmills was to insulate blocks of ice so that they could be shipped with minimal losses. Ice was cut from ponds and lakes in the winter, layered with sawdust and stored in ice-houses for warm-weather shipment to New York, Boston, etc, and indeed lots of it found its way onto ships headed for the Caribbean to supply refrigeration and cool drinks for plantation-owners. The ships came back with molasses, often, which was turned into rum in Boston and other ports.

Last edited:

Blenton said:
Not by what they said on National Geographic.
Right, I guess I was being a little too fast and loose with that description (no doubt the other numbers in it are also only roughly correct). I think I saw that one too (or something similar on the History channel), but it's been a while. I can't recall what it did say about the laborers, other than that there was a more complicated social structure than just the common image of the slave-master relationship.

well, royal extravagance aside, i still suspect there's something more primal to our preference of cold water. we're not all descended from kings.

1. Why does cold water taste better than warm water?

There are a few reasons why people generally prefer the taste of cold water over warm water. One possible explanation is that cold water has a lower temperature, which can help numb taste buds and reduce the perception of any unpleasant flavors. Additionally, cold water may also seem more refreshing and thirst-quenching, making it more enjoyable to drink.

2. Is it just a matter of personal preference?

While some people may simply prefer the taste of cold water, there are also scientific reasons why it may be perceived as tasting better. Our taste buds are more sensitive to temperature than we realize, and the colder the water is, the less we are able to taste any bitter or unpleasant flavors. So it may not be purely a matter of personal preference.

3. Does the temperature of the water affect its taste?

Yes, the temperature of water can have a significant impact on its taste. As mentioned, colder water can help mask any unpleasant flavors, while warm water can make these flavors more noticeable. Additionally, the temperature of water can also affect its texture and mouthfeel, which can also play a role in how we perceive its taste.

4. Are there any health benefits to drinking cold water?

While there is no scientific evidence to suggest that cold water is inherently healthier than warm water, there are some potential benefits to drinking cold water. For example, cold water can help speed up metabolism and keep you hydrated, as it is absorbed by the body more quickly than warm water.

5. Does the type of water affect its taste?

Yes, the type of water can impact its taste. For example, tap water may have a different taste than filtered or bottled water due to impurities and added minerals. Additionally, the source of the water, such as a natural spring or a municipal water supply, can also affect its taste. However, the temperature of the water is still likely to have a greater impact on taste than the type of water.