Selling Video Game Account: Deciding Between Sentimentality & Money

• Thread starter jhicks
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the decision to sell an account in a video game for $500. The account holds sentimental value but may become worthless in a year. The person asking for advice is considering selling the account and is seeking rational answers. Some suggest selling it and using the money for a vacation or furniture. The game in question is World of Warcraft, and some people are willing to pay high prices for good accounts.
jhicks
Well, it's not exactly a collectible, but some might consider it worth obtaining. Currently, I'm considering selling off an account I have in a video game. I got a credible offer of about 500 dollars, but I still play it sometimes and it's somewhat valuable to me from a sentimental point of view, but time is also of the essence as the account will probably be worthless in a year's time. If I sell the account, then I made money off something I enjoyed doing for a couple years. On the other hand, 500 dollars is one week's pay and I have no debt or real wants at the moment to use the money on so it would basically sit in the bank.

I ask you, PF, what would you do in my situation? I know some people are going to say "well it's really up to you", but I like to pick rational answers so I'm appealing to people outside of the situation to determine what is the "best" decision.

Physics news on Phys.org
I play SimCity for hours on end, and developped many cities.

I delete the cities like nothing. I have no sentimental attachment. It's not like you can't play the game anymore.

I'd get rid of it, take a vacation.

I delete the cities like nothing. I have no sentimental attachment. It's not like you can't play the game anymore.

Well you can also make a city in a couple days. I had invested some of my down time over two years into this, so I got a bit sentimental.

I'd get rid of it, take a vacation.

I ended up getting rid of it today -- thanks for snapping me to my senses! I'm not quite sure I will take a vacation, but a piece of furniture or two for the new apartment might do as well.

What game was it?

WoW... 500 bucks for an account :wink: what's next? I'm selling my email inbox for anyone that's interested, I'll chuck in the spam filters for free...

What game was it?

World of Warcraft. Some people go absolutely crazy for good accounts. I have had friends that have sold theirs for over two thousand dollars.

What is a video game account?

A video game account is a user account that contains all the progress, achievements, and in-game items of a player in a specific video game. It allows players to save their progress and continue playing on any device or platform.

Why would someone want to sell their video game account?

Some players may want to sell their video game account if they no longer have the time or interest to play the game, or if they need the money for other purposes. It can also be a way to make a profit from their hard work and progress in the game.

What are the factors to consider when deciding between sentimentality and money when selling a video game account?

The main factors to consider are the sentimental value of the account and the potential monetary gain. Sentimental value includes the emotional attachment and memories associated with the account, while monetary gain includes the current market value of the account and potential risks and scams involved in the selling process.

How can I determine the value of my video game account?

The value of a video game account depends on various factors such as the game popularity, level and achievements, in-game items and currency, and the demand for the account. You can research the current market value of similar accounts or consult with a reputable account seller to determine the value of your account.

What precautions should I take when selling my video game account?

It is important to take precautions to protect your account and personal information when selling a video game account. This includes thoroughly researching the buyer, using a secure payment method, and not sharing your account login details until the transaction is complete. It is also advisable to consult with the game's terms of service to ensure that selling your account is allowed.