Collection of Lame Jokes

  • Thread starter Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Jokes
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
24,336 replies · 3M views
1752966500819.webp
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: berkeman, phinds, BillTre and 5 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Internet down in Scotland. No access to LAN for the McLachlan clan.
 
WWGD said:
Internet down in Scotland. No access to LAN for the McLachlan clan.

Swamp Thing said:
Celtic Local Area Network?
Somebody, explain the joke to me.
 
symbolipoint said:
Somebody, explain the joke to me.
Mc lack LAN for the first one (mispronouncing the Scots ch as untrained people do), and CLAN/clan as in the old social organisation of the Scots for the second
 
berkeman said:
The meme should have said "stop signs". You run a traffic light and you will probably be toast.
May be location dependent. In London it's a rare walk to the office when I see fewer than half a dozen cyclists running red lights.
 
Ibix said:
May be location dependent. In London it's a rare walk to the office when I see fewer than half a dozen cyclists running red lights.
Yes, probably true. For me here in the US (but not in cities like San Francisco, which could be quite different), I will roll stop signs usually unless cars are queued up that I should interleave with, but I will always stop for red lights.

There was some legislation recently I think in San Francisco or similar that would allow bicyclists to run stop signs (and red lights?) as long as there were no cars coming. I'll have to go check on that now... :smile:
 
Ibix said:
Mc lack LAN for the first one (mispronouncing the Scots ch as untrained people do), and CLAN/clan as in the old social organisation of the Scots for the second
Well, you take some leeway, freedoms, to glue the joke together. And drink some Wattarr afterwards.
 
berkeman said:
There was some legislation recently I think in San Francisco or similar that would allow bicyclists to run stop signs (and red lights?) as long as there were no cars coming.
Given what I see on the road, I think that a lot of drivers must believe that that legislation was already passed for cars - regardless of other traffic.
 
fresh_42 said:
Who in the world had been checking this?
I don't know if this applies elsewhere, but in the UK it is common for a trade vehicle to display a notice saying something like "No tools left in this vehicle overnight" or "Nothing of value left in this vehicle overnight" to discourage any attempts to break into the unattended vehicle. This is an amusing extension of that idea.
 
  • Informative
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: phinds, BillTre and fresh_42
berkeman said:

That's exactly the meaning:

1540s, "contrary to nature, reason, or common sense," from Latin praeposterus "absurd, contrary to nature, inverted, perverted, in reverse order," literally "before-behind" (compare topsy-turvy, cart before the horse), from prae "before" (see pre-) + posterus "subsequent, coming after," from post "after".
https://www.etymonline.com/search?q=preposterous
 
  • Informative
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 256bits, DrGreg, Swamp Thing and 1 other person
I used(?) to be a major Geography nerd. Maybe those without a social life , or French, like @Mayhem could get it. Me asking a woman: "Do you want a ride in Mayotte (My Yacht)*? No thanks, it's too far and I don't have a French visa"
*Edited.
 
Last edited:
The commercial advertisement for the sandwich and the direction sign for the crematorium is only coincident.