Collection of Science Jokes P2

fresh_42

Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award

If you consider buying a decent telescope, the only black hole you will find is the new one in your wallet.

Edit: (I found a picture on the topic)

un-neutron-star-black-hole-my-hopes-dreams-4247038.png

Last edited:
..so that he will be increasing the dosage? (if we forget about the intended derivative joke)

davenn

Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have many chemistry puns,
but I’m afraid they won’t get a good reaction

Demystifier

Science Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award
Application of the Great Unification Theory above to quantum mechanics. The probability current in quantum mechanics for a particle moving in one dimension is
$$j=\frac{\hbar}{2mi} \left( \psi^*\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial x}-\psi\frac{\partial\psi^*}{\partial x} \right)$$
Using the unification formula above, the current can be written in the electric engineering form
$$i=\frac{\hbar}{2mj} \left( \psi^*\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial x}-\psi\frac{\partial\psi^*}{\partial x} \right)$$

Write it as $$i=\frac{\hbar}{2mi} \left( \psi^*\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial x}-\psi\frac{\partial\psi^*}{\partial x} \right)$$ and simplify: $$-1=\frac{\hbar}{2m} \left( \psi^*\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial x}-\psi\frac{\partial\psi^*}{\partial x} \right)$$

Demystifier

Science Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award
$$-1=\frac{\hbar}{2m} \left( \psi^*\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial x}-\psi\frac{\partial\psi^*}{\partial x} \right)$$
The left-hand side is real and the right-hand side is imaginary, which is only possible if both sides are zero. Hence the wave function is real (which is compatible with the PBR theorem) and ##-1=0## (which makes sense because one cannot have less than zero particles).

fresh_42

Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award
The Great Unification Theory that unifies physics with electric engineering:
$$i=j$$
Typical pop science chasing for headlines! I have made the effort and had a look in the original paper which this article relies on. And there it is said ##i=\mathbf{\hat{j}}##.

chasrob

Gold Member
How do you tell the difference between a teacher and a chemist?
Ask them to pronounce unionized.