Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
4,104 replies · 526K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Klystron
Gold Member
- 1,264
- 1,980
Rene Descartes's little known little brother, Bob, suffered from lifelong body order necessitating daily immersion in the Zuider Zee. Said Bob:
I stink; therefore, I swam!
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
- 3,212
- 3,841
attention @chemisttreedavenn said:
Keith_McClary
- 752
- 1,507
Mentor
- 8,478
- 5,700
Mentor
- 8,478
- 5,700
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
- 3,954
- 777
So, what’s most funny about it? The tree (I spell it ttree) or the warning to me not to touch it?gmax137 said:attention @chemisttree
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,480
- 2,231
An infinite number of mathematicians walk into a bar. The first asks for a pint of beer. The second asks for half a pint. The third asks for a quarter-pint. The fourth asks for an eighth of a pint.
The bartender interrupts to say, "I'll serve the whole group two pints, and that's your limit!"
The bartender interrupts to say, "I'll serve the whole group two pints, and that's your limit!"
DaveC426913
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 24,692
- 9,084
Q: How long does it take an infinite number of mathematicians to drink 2 pints?DrGreg said:An infinite number of mathematicians walk into a bar.
A: 34 days.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/collection-of-science-jokes-p2.847743/post-6416910
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,480
- 2,231
Oops. It appears that 34 days is how long it takes for one ex-mathematician to forget that they've seen a joke before.DaveC426913 said:Q: How long does it take an infinite number of mathematicians to drink 2 pints?
A: 34 days.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/collection-of-science-jokes-p2.847743/post-6416910
![]()

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
If you have an MRI done and then float on your back in a pool immediately afterwards, you will act like a human compass.
Tell your friends on Reddit. LOL!
With that in mind, true story: I used to work on mobile MRI units mounted on buses. They would travel to a hospital, power up the magnet, do some number of studies, power down, and then drive to the next hospital. On one occasion I had arrived at the hospital just as the MRI arrived. The operator came up to me looking a little faint. He was in a bit of a panic. He had forgotten to purge the 0.75 Tesla or so magnet before driving. He said he kept noticing cars swerving at him as they drove by.
The magnet was kept superconductive so it didn't need power to operate once charged.
I always wanted to park one up against a hardware store wall.
Tell your friends on Reddit. LOL!
With that in mind, true story: I used to work on mobile MRI units mounted on buses. They would travel to a hospital, power up the magnet, do some number of studies, power down, and then drive to the next hospital. On one occasion I had arrived at the hospital just as the MRI arrived. The operator came up to me looking a little faint. He was in a bit of a panic. He had forgotten to purge the 0.75 Tesla or so magnet before driving. He said he kept noticing cars swerving at him as they drove by.
The magnet was kept superconductive so it didn't need power to operate once charged.
I always wanted to park one up against a hardware store wall.
Last edited:
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
Borg said:I wonder how many credit card strips got wiped that day?
Driving down the road? I don't know if it could have wiped cards in passing cars or not. I know that one time a D8 Cat got too close to one at a hospital site. That was bad. I don't know who won the tug of war but they ended up crunching together. Those magnets are insanely powerful.
One night I was working alone and needed to get to something on top of the magnet which was charged. We had Beryllium tools. And the chairs and other hardware were supposed to be stainless. So I grabbed a chair, slung my arm through the back so I could carry my tools, and walked into the magnet room. By the time I felt the tug on the chair indicating that it was NOT stainless but instead a regular chair, I was airborne. I probably flew a few feet through the air as the chair sought the center of the field and crashed into the magnet. It about yanked my arm off. And I hit my head when I crashed into the magnet but I was okay. I had to use a manual winch with about a 20 foot cable extended to get the chair out.
Back when I first started, we had a [very old] WWI vet at one hospital. The pin in his leg from the war was made of very low quality stainless and the magnet pulled the pin out before they could get him out of the field.
This was a fun demo we did from time to time.
Also
And
Keith_McClary
- 752
- 1,507
In the middle video they are lucky the cable didn't snap!Ivan Seeking said:Also
DaveC426913
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 24,692
- 9,084
Tell me you're not serious!Ivan Seeking said:He said he kept noticing cars swerving at him as they drove by.![]()
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
DaveC426913 said:Tell me you're not serious!
I'm dead serious. The more the mass of ferrous metal, the greater the force. It probably did. One pulled into a D8 Cat. But I don't know if the MRI or the Cat is what slid.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
However you will not act like a human compass if floating in a pool after getting an MRI. That WAS a joke. :)
Keith_McClary
- 752
- 1,507
What happens if it warms up while driving around?Ivan Seeking said:The magnet was kept superconductive
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
Keith_McClary said:What happens if it warms up while driving around?
Eventually it would and then lose the field. I don't remember the max temp but we had to use liquid nitrogen over liquid helium for cooling. Once the nitrogen boiled off it would be dead.
Keith_McClary
- 752
- 1,507
I thought that would be catastrophic, but I didn't know about the "alternate circuit":Ivan Seeking said:lose the field
The magnet is designed with an alternate circuit that can protect it and keep it from burning up. This is where it gets dramatic: The alternate circuit is essentially a heater that dissipates the magnet's stored energy by boiling all the liquid helium in magnet's storage tank. A white cloud of helium comes billowing out of multiple pressure relief ports.
TIL
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
Keith_McClary said:I thought that would be catastrophic, but I didn't know about the "alternate circuit":
The magnet is designed with an alternate circuit that can protect it and keep it from burning up. This is where it gets dramatic: The alternate circuit is essentially a heater that dissipates the magnet's stored energy by boiling all the liquid helium in magnet's storage tank. A white cloud of helium comes billowing out of multiple pressure relief ports.
TIL
IIRC we just purged the nitrogen, not the helium. But that was a very long time ago. And I wasn't responsible for that system. So I may not remember all of the details correctly.
Purging the cooling system was a normal part of the procedure for transport. And in the early days, they might hit 2 to 4 hospitals in a day.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
My favorite new quote comes from Young Sheldon: I don't believe in a God but I sure like acting like one!
That's good.
That's good.
Last edited:
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
Ivan Seeking said:I'm dead serious. The more the mass of ferrous metal, the greater the force. It probably did. One pulled into a D8 Cat. But I don't know if the MRI or the Cat is what slid.
View attachment 274624
A bit of personal trivia: For anyone who remembers the movie Volcano, the D8 Cat-MRI incident was at Cedars Sinai Medical Center right where the movie scenes took place - right across from the Beverly Center. That same pad was where we put the MRI [not a driven unit but more like a mobile home]. My old MRI was gone. I guess it got wiped out by the volcano. :(
256bits
Gold Member
- 4,284
- 2,297
What an egocentric guy/gal - no regard for what those bewildered drivers were thinking when their own cars started acting weird pulling to one side.Ivan Seeking said:He said he kept noticing cars swerving at him as they drove by
I wonder how many went to garages complaining about loose steering the next day.
Science Advisor
- 14,916
- 7,622
Stavros Kiri
- 1,148
- 1,014
It may have mostly been cloudy but festive Earth didn't miss it! ...
Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas!
Science Advisor
- 14,916
- 7,622
An infinite number of mathematicians walk into a bar. The first asks for 1 beer. The second asks for 2 beers. The third asks for 3 beers. The fourth asks for 4 beers. The bartender interrupts to say: "Sorry, but I can't take your order. One beer is one dollar and I don't have a twelfth dollar coin to pay you."DrGreg said:An infinite number of mathematicians walk into a bar. The first asks for a pint of beer. The second asks for half a pint. The third asks for a quarter-pint. The fourth asks for an eighth of a pint.
The bartender interrupts to say, "I'll serve the whole group two pints, and that's your limit!"
Keith_McClary
- 752
- 1,507
Similar threads
Collection of Science Fiction jokes
- DennisN
- · Replies 17 ·
- Science Fiction and Fantasy Media
- Replies
- 17
Are science jokes fundamentally accurate?
- pivoxa15
- · Replies 36 ·
- General Discussion
- Replies
- 36
