College Visit- What to look for?

• Schools
  • Thread starter dontbesilly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    College
In summary, the individual is planning to visit K-State for a college visit and is considering the Physics department as a potential option for their education. They are seeking advice on what questions to ask the professor, what to look for in the department, and any red flags to be aware of. They also mention the importance of the overall campus atmosphere and the accessibility of professors. After their visit, they feel more confident about potentially staying in-state for their education and appreciate the friendly and enthusiastic faculty they met with. They also emphasize the importance of considering the professors' expertise in a specific field and the overall campus environment.
dontbesilly
Well, I'm heading this weekend over to K-State for a college visit. Obviously, it's the safety school (I live in Kansas) and I hope to go somewhere better like Chicago or UW-Madison, or Caltech if I am accepted, but there's a good chance that money issues will keep me in state. I'm going to check out the Physics department and meet with a proffessor and all that stuff.

Anyway, I was wondering a few things. What questions should I ask the Proffessor (beyond the obvious)? What should I look for in the department? Is there anything in particular I should know that's a good sign or a bad sign? Anything I should investigate thoroughly?

If things look good it would help alleviate some of my fears. If they go bad maybe I can argue my parents into being a tad more liberal with the monetary situation. But I need to know, and I figured you guys probably have some knowledge that could help me in evaluating their physics program/department.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
At any university, an experience is ultimately what you make of it. I've heard that people think so highly of Ivy-leaguers because the curriculum is difficult, but you can make a difficult curriculum for yourself anywhere... learn about the profs that are the best (great but challenging), double major or triple-major if you want. Do research at other universities in the summer.

But: Look at facilities -- are they current, are they also resourceful? What are the opportunities for undergrads in research (if the school isn't known for a grad program... it can often have even better experiences for undergrads)? Can you meet with a few current students (do they seem really pleased with their academic growth)? While a school's ranking will go into consideration when/if you are applying for grad programs... the GRE and lab experience generally weigh in much much more.

As an aside: when I was a grad student I gave Chris Sorenson (a K-State prof) a tour of my lab once -- he was very cool.

Thanks for the advice. Interesting about Sorenson, maybe I'll see him up there.

One could browse the departments website to learn about the faculty and research. Then during the visit one could possibly visit some facilities of most interest, or find out more about the curriculum and research.

I'm an undergrad now. I'd say if you know that the physics department is good (look at the website...are the profs doing interesting work?), it is much more important to talk to students. They can tell you if professors are really accessible, what research opportunities are like, etc.

On the practical side, look for good groupwork/study facilities on-site, access to food and coffee, and also look for things to do on weekends, when you get one.

This may go without saying, But take a look at campus and the surrounding areas, make sure its something you like and could possibly feel at home at. It'd be great to go to that top notch Ivy League, and maybe the program you are interested in is one of the best, but if you are miserable in the school atmosphere then you may find it less than appealing. I am at Loyola Univeristy of Chicago, and possibly one of the biggest thigns that lead to my coming here was the campus setting, I enjoy being in large cities and being by the water, thus their lakeshore campus is beautiful to me.
Aside form that, as other have said, Look at the department websites, and see what you think. Come up with some questions to ask on your tour about study groups or the social atmosphere. Talk to some of the faculty and see if they feel like people you could get to know and be friends with, talk to students and see their reactions to the faculty, ask if they work with their professors alot, or if their isn't much interaction.

I recently visited many college campuses. I highly suggest that you walk around on your own (on your own means with nobody else, ie. without your parents, friends, etc) for an hour or two.

Sit in on a class if you can!

Thanks for the advice guys. I got back the other day and it went well.
Everyone seemed very friendly and accessable. I was able to speak with the (interem) Physics Department head, despite the fact that there was a mistake and the department didn't get word of my visit until the last minute. I also got a great tour of the facilities by an assistant professor. They were both very enthusiastic and friendly. They answered all my questions and I got a good feel for things. Sounded like undergrad research opportunities were good, especially as a part of the honors program.

So, I guess there's no real reason to fear staying instate if it comes to that. I feel a lot better now.

That is great. It is very important to professors who are willing to help you. There are a lot of brilliant people who should not be professors. All they tend to care about is research. Whenever I looked for a university to attend, I paid careful attention to how open the head of the department was and how the professors reacted to their students.

Also, make sure that the professors there are skilled in a field that interest you. Especially if you do have plans to atted grad student at some point.

Count the number of hot chicks you see. The more the bettter.

dontbesilly said:
Thanks for the advice guys. I got back the other day and it went well.
Everyone seemed very friendly and accessable. I was able to speak with the (interem) Physics Department head, despite the fact that there was a mistake and the department didn't get word of my visit until the last minute. I also got a great tour of the facilities by an assistant professor. They were both very enthusiastic and friendly. They answered all my questions and I got a good feel for things. Sounded like undergrad research opportunities were good, especially as a part of the honors program.

So, I guess there's no real reason to fear staying instate if it comes to that. I feel a lot better now.

I think your experience is a good opportunity to repeat to all prospective college students that just because you do not go to a "brand-name" school, does not mean that you will not get a terrific undergraduate education, or that you won't get to top-tier graduate schools. I see high school students (and their parents) losing sleep and getting all stressed out trying to get into these highly-competitive schools, while ignoring what probably could be equally good schools elsewhere. Especially in physics where it really doesn't matter that much where you go for your undergraduate education (as long as it has the full range of facilities that one expects, and most schools have these) when compared to graduate school, one should not be seduced to ONLY focus on those well-known names.

Zz.

1. What should I prioritize when visiting a college?

When visiting a college, it is important to prioritize factors that are most important to you. This may include academic programs, campus culture, location, campus resources, and extracurricular opportunities.

2. How can I get a feel for the campus culture during my visit?

To get a sense of the campus culture, pay attention to the students you encounter during your visit. Observe their interactions, visit common areas such as the dining hall or student center, and attend any events or activities happening on campus.

3. What should I look for in terms of academic programs?

When evaluating academic programs, consider the variety of majors and courses offered, the faculty and their expertise, and any opportunities for research or hands-on experience. You may also want to inquire about internship or study abroad opportunities.

4. How important is the location of the college?

The location of a college can play a significant role in your overall college experience. Consider factors such as the surrounding community, access to transportation, and distance from home. It is important to choose a location that you feel comfortable and safe in.

5. What resources should I look for on campus?

A college visit is a great opportunity to explore the resources available on campus. Look for facilities such as libraries, laboratories, and student support services. You may also want to inquire about career services, wellness programs, and clubs and organizations.