1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Collisions Question: Moment whilst force acts through CoG

1. Nov 6, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    EDIT: DO NOT READ. I SOLVED IT.

The collision in this problem acts at point C and acts a purely horizontal force in the inertial frame of reference.

upload_2015-11-6_21-30-0.png

2. Relevant equations
    upload_2015-11-6_21-31-13.png

3. The attempt at a solution

I understand the maths that is at work here, when we resolve the force into the new frame of reference, x1 and y1, we can find the moments and develop the angular momentum equations.

However, what is bothering me is that there is a moment about the Z (or Z1, it's the same) axis despite the collision force acting through line of the centre of gravity?

This is deeply annoying to me, because I'd think this physically impossible. So, I'm not sure where the hole in my physical understanding of the problem is.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Nov 11, 2015 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Greg: Apparently the OP has already solved this problem.

5. Nov 11, 2015 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

That's Greg's bot...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook