Combinational Logic High for Range

• Thread starter ombudsmansect
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logic Range
In summary, the user needs to use combinational logic to produce a high output for a certain range of values. They converted an analogue signal to a digital signal, and now need an LED to be turned on when the analogue signal is above a certain voltage. They found a shortcut for implementing this logic function by splitting the 12 bit digital signal into 3 4 bit codes. However, this also caused complications in the implementation.
ombudsmansect
I need to use combinational logic to produce a high ouput for a certain range of values. I have and anaolgue signal which i have converted to a 12 bit digital signal, I need an LED to be turned on when the analogue signal is above a certain voltage.

I have the digital value (101001110100 = 6V), now I need the LED to be turned on for all values between this and 111111111111. SO i guess what I am asking is there any shortcut for implenenting logic for all values above a specified one. I hate to think that I am going to have to go through and write an SOP for all the intermeiate values, and then it is impossible to put on a karnaugh map to simplify (humanly impossible).

So does anyone know of a shortcut for implementing this seemingly simple logic function?
Many Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
couldn't you just use a comparator?

Comparator was used to create the 12 bit signal, now i must use the 12 bit digital signal to illuminate an LED when the analogue input is >6V.

Combinational logic must be used to illuminate the LED, it is all i am able to use. No comparator available for this part of the circuit.

I am thinkin of splitting up the 12 bit signal into 3 4 bit codes, but this also causes a lot of complications in the implementation. Thanks for replying hough, it is the best idea, unfortunate i cannot use it.

OK for anyone interested what i did in the end was made comb logic for the 4 MSB's when they are above 1010 high output, then ANDed that with and OR for both when 1010 and the second set of 4 bits that were below 0111, and when the MSB's are 1010, second 4 0111, and the 4LSB's below 0100. Yeah that was a bit much for one sentence, but if anyone is interested i can post the logic diagram when I've done it. Cheers.

Question 1:

What is "combinational logic high for range"?

"Combinational logic high for range" refers to a type of digital logic circuit that operates on inputs and produces outputs based on the current input values. It is characterized by having no memory or feedback, meaning that the output is solely determined by the current input values and not by any previous inputs or outputs.

Question 2:

How does "combinational logic high for range" differ from other types of logic circuits?

"Combinational logic high for range" differs from other types of logic circuits, such as sequential logic, in that it does not have any memory or feedback. This means that the output is only determined by the current input values and not by any previous inputs or outputs.

Question 3:

What are some common uses for "combinational logic high for range"?

"Combinational logic high for range" circuits are commonly used in digital systems for tasks such as data processing, data encryption, and mathematical calculations. They can also be found in electronic devices such as calculators, computers, and mobile phones.

Question 4:

What are some advantages of using "combinational logic high for range"?

One advantage of using "combinational logic high for range" is that it is relatively simple and easy to design and implement. It also has a fast response time, making it suitable for applications that require quick processing. Additionally, since it does not have any memory, it is less prone to errors caused by feedback loops.

Question 5:

Are there any limitations to using "combinational logic high for range"?

One limitation of using "combinational logic high for range" is that it can only perform operations based on the current input values and does not have the ability to store or remember data. This means that it is not suitable for tasks that require sequential logic or complex decision making. It is also limited in its ability to handle changing or dynamic inputs, as it can only process one set of inputs at a time.