Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Combinational Logic High for Range

1. Jun 18, 2011 #1
    I need to use combinational logic to produce a high ouput for a certain range of values. I have and anaolgue signal which i have converted to a 12 bit digital signal, I need an LED to be turned on when the analogue signal is above a certain voltage.

I have the digital value (101001110100 = 6V), now I need the LED to be turned on for all values between this and 111111111111. SO i guess what I am asking is there any shortcut for implenenting logic for all values above a specified one. I hate to think that im going to have to go through and write an SOP for all the intermeiate values, and then it is impossible to put on a karnaugh map to simplify (humanly impossible).

So does anyone know of a shortcut for implementing this seemingly simple logic function?
    Many Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2011 #2
    couldn't you just use a comparator?

4. Jun 19, 2011 #3
    Comparator was used to create the 12 bit signal, now i must use the 12 bit digital signal to illuminate an LED when the analogue input is >6V.

Combinational logic must be used to illuminate the LED, it is all i am able to use. No comparator available for this part of the circuit.

I am thinkin of splitting up the 12 bit signal into 3 4 bit codes, but this also causes a lot of complications in the implementation. Thanks for replying hough, it is the best idea, unfortunate i cannot use it.

5. Jun 19, 2011 #4
    OK for anyone interested what i did in the end was made comb logic for the 4 MSB's when they are above 1010 high output, then ANDed that with and OR for both when 1010 and the second set of 4 bits that were below 0111, and when the MSB's are 1010, second 4 0111, and the 4LSB's below 0100. Yeah that was a bit much for one sentence, but if anyone is interested i can post the logic diagram when ive done it. Cheers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook