Combined direct stress and bending moments

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the maximum compressive and tensile stresses in a steel column with a doubly symmetrical hollow cross section. The equations and methods used to calculate the area and moment of inertia are discussed, as well as considerations for eccentric loading at the corner of the beam. It is determined that the moment of inertia needs to be calculated separately for both axes and then subtracted from the overall moment of inertia calculation.
andycampbell1
Hi. I was assigned this coursework by my lecturer. The problem is I have only been taught how to analyse a solid beam section and not a hollow section as is shown in the problem. What I would like to know is how to calculate the area. Usually I would do this by calculating Length x Breadth. I am unsure what to do with the internal area which is missing.1. A Steel column has a doubly symmetrical hollow cross section, as shown in image. And is subjected to a vertical force of 200 kN at the corner A of its cross section.

a) To calculate the maximum compressive and tensile stresses in the column section respectively.

b) To determine the minimum vertical load that may have to be applied at the corner B in order that there is no resultant tensile stress caused by these two vertical loads

2. The equation I was using was

δ= P/A - (Pey]/I and

I=1/12bd3
3. My attempt at this was1/12 x 800 x 6003= 14400 x 106 mm4

δ= P/A - (Pey]/I

δ= 200 x 103/240 x 103 - (200 x 103x 300)x300/14400x106

= 0.83333 - 1.25

I think it is the area that is throwing me off on this because I don't think the 14400x106 is correct. What I did with the area was to calculate the total area and subtract the area missing in the middle.

Attachments

• Combined.png
    Combined.png
    14.3 KB · Views: 467
Physics news on Phys.org
First, why don't you take a stab at calculating the cross-sectional area? What have you tried?

Second, you should note that the vertical load causes bending about both axes.
Third, your calc for I is wrong...and you need to find it about both axes separately, not forgetting to subtract out the I of the hollow part.

SteamKing said:
First, why don't you take a stab at calculating the cross-sectional area? What have you tried?

For my cross sectional area I multiplied the length x the breadth so that was 800 x 600 gave me 480 x 103 I then did the same for the hollow section so that was 600 x 400 gave me 240 x 10 3 I then subtracted 240 x 10 3 from 480 x 103 which left me with 240 x 103.

PhanthomJay said:
Second, you should note that the vertical load causes bending about both axes.
Third, your calc for I is wrong...and you need to find it about both axes separately, not forgetting to subtract out the I of the hollow part.

I knew it would cause bending about both axes, I have only covered with the lecturer in class loads at the centre of the beam and loads which are eccentrical from the centre of a solid beam. I was wondering how should I treat this load as it at the corner of the beam should it be taken as eccentrical from the centre or from a point on the actual beam?

So for I are you saying that I would need to work out for the actual beam 1/12 x 800 x 6003 and then the same for the hollow section 1/12 x 600 x 4003 then subtract from the first answer?

Thanks

andycampbell1 said:
I knew it would cause bending about both axes, I have only covered with the lecturer in class loads at the centre of the beam and loads which are eccentrical from the centre of a solid beam. I was wondering how should I treat this load as it at the corner of the beam should it be taken as eccentrical from the centre or from a point on the actual beam?
For a symmetrical beam in both directions, whether hollow, solid, I-shaped, etc., the ecentricity is measured from the centroid of the beam, that is, its center.
So for I are you saying that I would need to work out for the actual beam 1/12 x 800 x 6003 and then the same for the hollow section 1/12 x 600 x 4003 then subtract from the first answer?

Thanks
Yes, that is correct, about one axis. About the other axis, you have to do a similar calculation, where b is now h and h is now b, if you get my drift.

What is combined direct stress and bending moments?

Combined direct stress and bending moments refer to the simultaneous presence of both tensile or compressive stress and bending stress on a structural component or material.

What causes combined direct stress and bending moments?

Combined direct stress and bending moments can be caused by various factors, such as external loads, internal forces, and changes in geometry or material properties of a structure.

How does combined direct stress and bending moments affect a structure?

Combined direct stress and bending moments can significantly affect the structural integrity and stability of a component or material. It can lead to failure, deformation, or excessive deflection if not properly accounted for in design and analysis.

How is combined direct stress and bending moments calculated?

To calculate combined direct stress and bending moments, the individual stress and moment components are first determined separately using appropriate equations and then combined using the principle of superposition. This takes into account the combined effects of both types of stress on the structure.

How can combined direct stress and bending moments be reduced or eliminated?

To reduce or eliminate combined direct stress and bending moments, engineers and designers can use various techniques such as selecting appropriate materials, changing the geometry of the structure, or redistributing the external loads. Proper analysis and design can also help in minimizing the effects of combined stress on a structure.