1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Combined sample spaces .

1. Feb 20, 2008 #1
    Dear all

I've just begun studying measure theory , and i cant help it but to think of it in terms of probability theory , i don't know if that is right or wring . any way , i have this naive question :

consider the following : we have n sample spaces [tex]\Omega_{}i[/tex], each with a distribution P[tex]_{}i[/tex] ( i=1,...n) , if we combine (union) the sample spaces to form a new sample space whose distribution is unknown , is there a way to extract the distribution of the new sample space from the previously know distributions ??

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2008 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The simplest case is to assume disjoint sample spaces. In that case, the probability of obtaining element x from the k'th space, x(k), will be P{x(k)} = P{x|k}P{k} = Pk{x}P{k}, where P{k} is the probability of obtaining the k'th space within the set of all spaces, or the measure of the k'th space in the union.

In general:

[tex]P\{x\} = \sum_{k=1}^N P\{x|k\}P\{k\}[/tex]

where N is the number of spaces.

This is related to the axiom of independence [from] irrelevant alternatives in decision theory.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  4. Feb 20, 2008 #3
    what about the general case ?

5. Feb 20, 2008 #4

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

See the portion of my post that begins with "In general."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?