Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Combining statistics from two distributions

1. Mar 1, 2013 #1
    Is it possible to combine statistics from two distributions for the same parameter. For example I have one distribution for X from population A and a second distribution for X from population B. I want to assume all data is from the same population. I have calculated UTLs(Upper tolerance limits) for each population but need a single, combined utl for a combined population. The catch is I don't have the original data, only the calculated statistics.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

How is that upper tolerance limit defined?
    If you have some data about the distribution of the expected parameter (like mean+standard deviation and the assumption of a Gaussian distribution), you can combine both.

4. Mar 1, 2013 #3
    According to the summary stats it is a normal distribution and the UTL is the 95% Upper tolrance Limit. i have the range of values and the artithmetic mean. No std dev.

5. Mar 1, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

In that case, the standard deviation is just ~1/2 of the distance between mean and UTL. You can combine both values with a weighted average (the formula should be somewhere at wikipedia or on other pages. The weights are just the inverse variances.).

6. Mar 1, 2013 #5
    Thank you. I will follow up on this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook