Coming up with research proposals as a first-time postdoc applicant?

In summary, a PhD student is looking for a job, but does not know what they want to do next. They have been focusing on getting the data they need for their PhD and do not have the time to come up with a proposal.
Doofy
So I'm in the final year of my PhD and will need to find a job soon. I don't feel strongly either way about whether I'll stay in physics or leave it for a "normal" job, but I've been browsing around looking for postdoc positions recently. I've seen places advertising for applications comprised of a CV and a research proposal. This is not something I had to do when I was a fresh university graduate looking for a PhD - there was already well-defined work that needed doing for a large experiment and it sounded alright so I went for it. My PhD project was not my idea.

However, the calls for applications that I've seen just state the vague field of the research going on at the institute. To be frank I have no idea about anything specific I want to work on - the impression I've got from staff at my university is that in this modern age, beggars can't be choosers and I should expect to have to turn my hand to whatever work comes along.

So, I've just been focused on getting the data I need. Whilst I've attended the odd seminar, I do not have in-depth knowledge of any experiment except the one I've worked on. I feel like coming up with something to do could be a massive undertaking, requiring a huge literature search, and I don't have the time to fit that in.

Is this a common situation for PhD students to find themselves in? Is this my fault, should I have known better and been thinking about this since the day I started my PhD? Or is it my university's fault for not warning me about this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Doofy said:
Is this a common situation for PhD students to find themselves in? Is this my fault, should I have known better and been thinking about this since the day I started my PhD? Or is it my university's fault for not warning me about this?

It might be field dependent, but by the end of my phd, I had several collaborators to help with knowing what a given postdoc position was looking for. For postdoc applications, I put a story around the papers I had published (i.e. as I went from working on this, to this I became interested in... there are important avenues to further explore...), and then outlined the future projects with collaborators I was planning on starting if I kept going in physics.

ParticleGrl said:
It might be field dependent, but by the end of my phd, I had several collaborators to help with knowing what a given postdoc position was looking for. For postdoc applications, I put a story around the papers I had published (i.e. as I went from working on this, to this I became interested in... there are important avenues to further explore...), and then outlined the future projects with collaborators I was planning on starting if I kept going in physics.

ok thanks, that's good to know. So I could potentially carry on doing roughly what I have been doing involving roughly the same people, just working at a different location? I'd be happy with that. Actually why the hell did I not think of this, it seems like such an obvious possibility now.

1. What is a research proposal?

A research proposal is a document that outlines a proposed research project. It includes a description of the research question, the objectives and significance of the study, the methods that will be used, and the expected outcomes or contributions to the field. It is often required as part of the application process for funding or as a first step in beginning a research project.

2. How do I come up with a good research proposal?

To come up with a good research proposal, it is important to start with a clear and well-defined research question. This question should be based on a gap in current knowledge or a problem that needs to be addressed. From there, you can develop a strong methodology and clearly articulate the potential impact and significance of your research.

3. What should be included in a research proposal?

A research proposal should include a title, an abstract, an introduction that provides background information and the research question, a literature review, a methodology section, a timeline, and a bibliography or list of references. It may also include a budget and a section on potential ethical considerations.

4. How long should a research proposal be?

The length of a research proposal can vary, but it is typically around 10-15 pages. However, some funding agencies or institutions may have specific guidelines for length, so it is important to check their requirements before submitting your proposal.

5. What are the common mistakes to avoid in a research proposal?

Common mistakes to avoid in a research proposal include not clearly stating the research question, not providing enough background information or justification for the study, not including a comprehensive literature review, and not being realistic about the timeline or budget. It is also important to proofread for spelling and grammar errors and to ensure that the proposal is well-organized and easy to follow.