Finding Common Ratio of Geometric Progression for 3 Points on a Parabola

In summary, the x-coordinates of the given points on the parabola y^2=3x must form a geometric progression with a common ratio of 1, and the corresponding y-coordinates must form an arithmetic progression with a common difference of 0. This means that all three points must have the same coordinates, and therefore the geometric ratio is 1.
thereddevils

Homework Statement

(p,a) , (q,b) and (r,c) are the coordinates of three points on the parabola y^2=3x. If the x-coordinate for these three points form a geometric progression whereas the corresponding y-coordinate form an arithmetic progression, find the common ratio of the geometric progression.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

q^2=rp and 2b=c+a

Substitute those points into the parabola to get a^2=3p , b^2=3q and c^2=3r

q^2=rp

(b^4/9)=((a^2c^2)/9)

b^4=a^2c^2

b^2= +/- ac

This part confuses me. I would get a=c if i take it to be positive.

Then substituting into 2b=c+a, that would be b=a=c ?

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't even have to take the positive,

from [tex]b^2=\pm ac[/tex]
then [tex]b=\pm\sqrt{ac}[/tex] (since we can only take the root of a positive number, we scrap the [tex]b^2=-ac[/tex] result).

Substituting that into the arithmetic progression,

[tex]\pm 2\sqrt{ac}=a+c[/tex]

[tex]4ac=a^2+2ac+c^2[/tex]

[tex]a^2-2ac+c^2=0[/tex]

[tex](a-c)^2=0[/tex]

thus [tex]a=c[/tex] (and this is without assuming positive and negative cases, this is for both).

Right, so we get a=b=c. This is just telling us that it is impossible to have the criteria the question mentioned without the numbers all being equal. So what is the geometric ratio?

Mentallic said:
You don't even have to take the positive,

from [tex]b^2=\pm ac[/tex]
then [tex]b=\pm\sqrt{ac}[/tex] (since we can only take the root of a positive number, we scrap the [tex]b^2=-ac[/tex] result).

Substituting that into the arithmetic progression,

[tex]\pm 2\sqrt{ac}=a+c[/tex]

[tex]4ac=a^2+2ac+c^2[/tex]

[tex]a^2-2ac+c^2=0[/tex]

[tex](a-c)^2=0[/tex]

thus [tex]a=c[/tex] (and this is without assuming positive and negative cases, this is for both).

Right, so we get a=b=c. This is just telling us that it is impossible to have the criteria the question mentioned without the numbers all being equal. So what is the geometric ratio?

Thanks Mentallic, so would it be -1? How do i show that in my working?

No no. We've already proven that for x coords to be in a geometric progression and the corresponding y coords to be in an arithmetic progression, where the x and y coords lie on the parabola y2=3x, then we can only have that a=b=c which means all the coordinates much be the same.

The difference in the arithmetic progression of a,b,c must be 0 (since they're all equal, b-a=0 and c-b=0)
The ratio in the geometric progression p,q,r must then be 1 since a=b=c which says that all the points are equal, so p=q=r. Thus q/p=1 and r/q=1.

Mentallic said:
No no. We've already proven that for x coords to be in a geometric progression and the corresponding y coords to be in an arithmetic progression, where the x and y coords lie on the parabola y2=3x, then we can only have that a=b=c which means all the coordinates much be the same.

The difference in the arithmetic progression of a,b,c must be 0 (since they're all equal, b-a=0 and c-b=0)
The ratio in the geometric progression p,q,r must then be 1 since a=b=c which says that all the points are equal, so p=q=r. Thus q/p=1 and r/q=1.

Isn't that the ratio of a GP not equal to 1 and 0 ?

I don't understand what you just said...

If the terms in a geometric series are equal, then the ratio is 1 since we are multiplying by 1 each time. It's the only way it can be both a geometric series and an arithmetic series at the same time.

Mentallic said:
I don't understand what you just said...

If the terms in a geometric series are equal, then the ratio is 1 since we are multiplying by 1 each time. It's the only way it can be both a geometric series and an arithmetic series at the same time.

oh, from the formula of the sum of a GP, Sn=(a(1-r^n))(1-r) where r not equal 1. I was referring to this which is not at all our case. Now i understand, thanks Mentallic for your help.

Oh, that. Well yeah that formula works for [tex]r\neq 1[/tex]. For r=1 we can quickly conclude that it doesn't have to be seen as a geometric sequence anymore, but an arithmetic sequence as we've already seen. So the sum would obviously be [tex]S_n=an[/tex]

What is a geometric progression?

A geometric progression is a sequence of numbers where each consecutive term is found by multiplying the previous term by a constant number, known as the common ratio.

How do you find the common ratio of a geometric progression?

The common ratio of a geometric progression can be found by dividing any term in the sequence by the previous term.

What are 3 points on a parabola?

Three points on a parabola refer to three distinct points that lie on the curve of a parabola. These points can be used to define the shape and position of the parabola.

Can a parabola have a negative common ratio?

No, a parabola cannot have a negative common ratio. The common ratio in a geometric progression must be a positive number since each term is found by multiplying the previous term by this constant. Therefore, the common ratio of a parabola must be positive.

How does finding the common ratio of a geometric progression help with a parabola?

Finding the common ratio of a geometric progression for three points on a parabola can help determine the equation of the parabola. By using the common ratio and the coordinates of the three points, one can solve for the unknown variables and obtain the equation of the parabola.