Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Common Source Aplifier - finding values of bypass capacitors

1. Sep 18, 2006 #1
    Hi,
    I am new to this website. I am having troubles in designing a common source amplifier with a voltage gain, Av=26 dB (no bypass capacitor) and a gain of 40 DB (with a bypass capacitor) and a frequency of 100-1000HZ. Can anyone please guide me to calculate the value of the bypass capacitor? I searched everywhere for the methods of finding the capacitors values but still in vain. :frown: :confused:
    thank you very much for all your help.

thanks,
    peace

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Can you post a sketch of your circuit? Also, you list two different gains. What is the 40dB number representing?

4. Sep 19, 2006 #3
    Dear berkeman,
    Thanks a lot for your reply. The 26 db is the gain when there is no bypass capacitor in the circuit while the 40 dB is the gain when there is a bypass capacitor in the circuit.
    Oh by the way, do you know how to use PSPICE or LTSPICE to generate the circuit? I am so sorry for sounding like such a poor computer engineer student. I am trying to learn how to use PSPICE or LTSPICE to generate the results.
    Thank you very much for your help. I really appreciate all the help given.

thanks,
    peace

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?