Communicating vessels(experiement)

• Thread starter Hepic
  • Start date
In summary: On the left, the pressure at the bottom of the pipe is lower. It is not low enough to lower the water below the surface. So water does not flow. Now, if you unplug the bottom of the pipe water will flow from right to left until the pressures at the bottom of the pipe are equal. In summary, the difference in hydrostatic pressure between two bottles connected by a tube is the driving force for water to flow from one bottle to the other. When one bottle is raised, the hydrostatic pressure on that side of the tube is greater, causing water to flow from the higher bottle to the lower one.
Hepic
Lets say we have two bottles that communicate via a tube.
Level of water,will try to be the same at both bottles because If hydrosatic pressure is bigger at the one,will try after some seconds to become the same.(pushing down the water of bottle with the more watter).
So let's say that level of water is the same at both bottles.
Now,for example we take the first bottle and put that in bigger height(30 cm heigher than other bottle). We see that water from heigher bottle goes to bottle with less height. Hydrostatic pressure there is not because water were in the same level,but maybe now atomospheric pressure is active. Is correct that the heigher bottle has bigger atmospheric pressure,so it sends its water in the other bottle??

Sorry for my english. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are mistaken in saying "Hydrostatic pressure there is not because water were in the same level". You have to count the water in the tube connecting the two bottles.

(Strictly speaking the atmospheric pressure on higher bottle will be less than on the lower because there is less atmosphere above it- but with a difference of only 30 cm, that will be unnoticable.)

So,the heigher bottle has bigger hydrostatic pressure?

Hepic said:
So,the heigher bottle has bigger hydrostatic pressure?

No. As HallsOfIvy said, you have to consider the water in the tube connecting the two bottles. What happens to he hydrostatic pressure at each point in the tube as you raise the first vessel by 30 cm?

So,If it this phenomeno is only about with tube,I can change waters via tube only(having the bottles at the same height?)?

That what I mean is,to leave the bottles in the same height,but to change the tube,and make it as it will be when I have one of bottles heigher. If I do that,water level will change??

Hepic said:
S
That what I mean is,to leave the bottles in the same height,but to change the tube,and make it as it will be when I have one of bottles heigher. If I do that,water level will change??

No, that won't work either. Here's something that might help you visualize what's going: Imagine that there is a plug in the tube, so that water cannot flow between the two vessels to equalize the level. Now calculate the hydrostatic pressures on either side of the plug - if they're equal nothing will happen when the plug is removed and if they're not equal water will flow from the high pressure side to the low pressure side and the water levels will change. Try this for each of the cases that you've asked about so far in this thread.

My english is bad,so I undestood what you mean but not at all.
Can you explain me with physics rules,why when I put a bottle heigher his water goes to the less heigh bottle?
(The heigher has more hydrostatic pressure?)

See diagram.
The pressure at A and B are different (not the same).

Attachments

• pressure.jpg
    pressure.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 642
Yea,I understood that. The heigher will have more pressure because there is more water,but when we use bottles with cube and go higher the one bottle,water will be the same,will not be more?

Hepic said:
Yea,I understood that. The heigher will have more pressure because there is more water,but when we use bottles with cube and go higher the one bottle,water will be the same,will not be more?

When you raise the left-hand container, you are not raising the part of the tube that is connected to the right-hand container. Therefore, the water in that part is deeper after you've raised the container, so the hydrostatic pressure in that part of the tube is greater.

Hepic said:
. when we use bottles with cube and go higher the one bottle,water will be the same,will not be more?

Sorry. I do not understand what you say. Can you make a drawing.

http://postimg.org/image/512frpz47/

Here is a photo. In number 1 I show the first situation,and in number 2 the second situation.
When you go from 1 to 2,you raise the bottle with the water,so the water is not deeper,but has more pressure??

...has more pressure

Where does it have more pressure?

Please mark on the drawing where you are talking about. Bottom of the water?

The pipes are in the air above the water ??

I do not know what pressure there is. Can you explain me in what is the difference between 1 and 2,so water way changes?

Sorry we are still having problems communicating.

I don't understand your drawing. In 1 the pipe is not in the water. The end of the pipe is in the air. No water will flow.

In 2...

No water will flow. On the right... the pressure at the bottom of the pipe is higher. It is not high enough to raise the water above the surface.

1. What is the purpose of the communicating vessels experiment?

The purpose of the communicating vessels experiment is to demonstrate the principle of fluid pressure and how it affects the level of liquid in connected vessels. This experiment also shows how the surface area of a container affects the rate of flow between vessels.

2. What materials are needed for the communicating vessels experiment?

To conduct the communicating vessels experiment, you will need two or more containers of different sizes, a connecting tube, and a liquid such as water or colored water. You may also need a ruler or measuring tape to measure the level of liquid in each container.

3. How do you set up the communicating vessels experiment?

First, fill one container with a liquid of your choice and place it on a flat surface. Then, connect the containers with a tube, making sure that the tube is securely attached to each container. Finally, adjust the position of the containers and tube as needed to achieve the desired results.

4. What are some factors that can affect the results of the communicating vessels experiment?

The results of the communicating vessels experiment can be affected by the type and viscosity of the liquid used, the size and shape of the containers, and the length and diameter of the connecting tube. Other factors such as temperature and air pressure can also impact the results.

5. What can we learn from the communicating vessels experiment?

The communicating vessels experiment teaches us about the principles of fluid pressure and the relationship between the surface area and height of a liquid in connected vessels. It also demonstrates how changes in one vessel can affect the level of liquid in the other vessels, showing the concept of equilibrium in fluid systems.