Is Time Travel Through Communication with the Past Possible?

• Thread starter Sneil
  • Start date
In summary, this is an article about a scientist who claims to have the ability to see and hear into the past. He believes that in 20 years, we will have the technology to communicate with ourselves in the past and give instructions. However, many people are skeptical of this idea and believe that it is currently impossible due to paradoxes and the Principle of Uncertainty. The article and the scientist's claims have been deemed as bogus by many in the physics community.
Sneil
This is an article about some scientist who claimes he is/will be able to see and hear into the past. He claims in 20 years we'll have the technology to "talk" to ourselves in the past, say at our desk 30 min earlier and pass on instruction "verbally" through whatever means he claims to possess.

http://www.impactlab.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=7467

I know this article is obviously bs as the method he describes to accomplish his theory requires him to virtually rewind matter and extract past physical iteractions from an object. meaning look at the current energetic states of all the atoms in an object and derrive how the atoms current state originated. Sorry to post this but there are people on a non-physics forum i frequent that believe what is being said is possible. I apologize for posting this but my current grasp with physics is not enough to elegantly explain why his proposal is completely impossible. Could someone give a thurough explanation expalining why physically it is not possible?
If it is a complete waste of your time for me to posting this then i apaolgize.
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, so a guy without a name who is unfunded and works alone in his basement says so. Well, I'm convinced. :rolleyes:

However, there is no absolute answer as to what is possible here. From what I read of the big names in physics, most people point to various paradoxes that would seem to render travel to the past impossible. However, there are solutions to the equations of General Relativity that suggest time travel to the past might be possible, and people have been playing with this for quite some time now - closed timelike curves. And there are a number of designs for time machines that some qualified people have argued might actually work, so, to the best of my knowledge the door is closing for now but not completely shut on this idea.

Still, the page linked is bogus.

Sneil said:
This is an article about some scientist who claimes he is/will be able to see and hear into the past. He claims in 20 years we'll have the technology to "talk" to ourselves in the past, say at our desk 30 min earlier and pass on instruction "verbally" through whatever means he claims to possess.
That sounds like somthing form star trek.

Sneil said:
I know this article is obviously bs as the method he describes to accomplish his theory requires him to virtually rewind matter and extract past physical iteractions from an object. meaning look at the current energetic states of all the atoms in an object and derrive how the atoms current state originated.
There is no way to look at the curreny energetic states of the atoms, since it goes against the Principle of Uncertainty. It is all BS.

thanks for the replies:smile:

1. How is it possible to communicate with the past?

At this time, it is not scientifically possible to communicate with the past. Time travel and talking to individuals in the past are still theoretical concepts and have not been proven to be achievable through scientific means.

2. Can we use technology to communicate with the past?

While there are technologies that allow us to capture images and audio from the past, such as cameras and recording devices, these are not a form of communication. They simply capture and document events that have already occurred.

3. Are there any scientific studies or experiments that have successfully communicated with the past?

No, there are no scientifically credible studies or experiments that have successfully communicated with the past. The concept of time travel and communication with the past remains in the realm of science fiction.

4. Is it possible for future advancements in science to allow us to communicate with the past?

It is impossible to predict the future advancements in science, but based on our current understanding of physics and time, it is highly unlikely that we will be able to communicate with the past in the future.

5. Can we learn about the past through historical documents and artifacts?

Yes, we can learn about the past through historical documents and artifacts. These provide us with a glimpse into the past and allow us to understand the events and people that shaped our world. However, this is not a form of communication with the past, but rather a way to study and learn from it.