Communication and electronics vs mechanical vs civil engineering

In summary: They generally have a better feel for what is actually going on in the company, and don't get bogged down in the latest management fads.In summary, there are many options for studying in the field of engineering, including communication, electronics, mechanical, and civil engineering. All majors have potential and it is important to choose one that you are interested in and passionate about. As for getting into management, it is an art that can be learned but not taught from scratch. It is also important to consider the job market and salary potential for each major. Ultimately, the best managers may not have an MBA, but rather have worked their way up in the company and
Viper20
hello everybody,

I will Study Engineering and I'm thinking to take your opinions in the major that i will study I'm Confused between communication and electronics engineering, mechanical engineering or civil engineering.

I care about the job-market which one is the most requested ? . which one has a good salary? . which one will able me to take a management job in the future ? What is the field of ​​the work of all of them ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I studied electrical engineering. I ended up working on industrial controls.

You really can't go wrong with either of these majors. Frankly, they both have a lot of potential. Choose what you like and run with it.

As for getting into management, that depends on something that is not taught in engineering school: management psychology.

They teach MBA programs, but I hold those in very low regard. Management is one of those things that if you have to be taught how to do it from scratch, you will fail. It is an art. You can teach a lot about artistry, but you can't educate anyone to be a great artist.

JakeBrodskyPE said:
I studied electrical engineering. I ended up working on industrial controls.

You really can't go wrong with either of these majors. Frankly, they both have a lot of potential. Choose what you like and run with it.

As for getting into management, that depends on something that is not taught in engineering school: management psychology.

They teach MBA programs, but I hold those in very low regard. Management is one of those things that if you have to be taught how to do it from scratch, you will fail. It is an art. You can teach a lot about artistry, but you can't educate anyone to be a great artist.

I don't entirely agree with this statement, because the above statement implies that management is somehow a skill that is innate or inborn. To the contrary, management (and I'm talking about management, not about leadership) is a skill that can be, and needs to be, taught.

Now whether an MBA program can teach management skills to people from scratch is another question entirely.

Management is, or at least should be, taught as a science rather than art, and should be practised as such too, in order to avoid fads and fashions that arts go through.

Shaun_W said:
Management is, or at least should be, taught as a science rather than art, and should be practised as such too, in order to avoid fads and fashions that arts go through.

I couldn't disagree more. Management and Leadership in particular is an art. It is the art of reaching out to individuals and directing them toward a goal that everyone understands.

Management and Leadership will never be a science. The people who think that they do this like a "science" are doomed to failure. I've watched it happen over three decades in the working world. Management Science does not work. As long as we remain human, managing and leading people will be an art.

Viper20 said:
hello everybody,

I will Study Engineering and I'm thinking to take your opinions in the major that i will study I'm Confused between communication and electronics engineering, mechanical engineering or civil engineering.

I care about the job-market which one is the most requested ? . which one has a good salary? . which one will able me to take a management job in the future ? What is the field of ​​the work of all of them ?

If you are interested in management jobs look into jobs out of college such as GEs Edison program and BAEs ELDP program. you rotate your job every nine months and take leadership/management and technical classes

JakeBrodskyPE said:
I couldn't disagree more. Management and Leadership in particular is an art. It is the art of reaching out to individuals and directing them toward a goal that everyone understands.

Management and Leadership will never be a science. The people who think that they do this like a "science" are doomed to failure. I've watched it happen over three decades in the working world. Management Science does not work. As long as we remain human, managing and leading people will be an art.

I agree to a point. Some people are inherently better at leading and managing, however those are skills that can be learned and developed.

Viper20 said:
hello everybody,

If you don't mind me asking why do you want to be a manager??
If it is just for the money then you should know that at many tech companies now the pay for managers and technical positions are equal until you get to vp/director level positions.

If you want to be a manager you might not be all that interested in engineering. Unfortunately, engineering is challenging (especially in school) and you might not succeed if you don't enjoy it.

Also, Electrical, Mechanical, and Civil are quite different, but all valuable. Why don't you take the standard introductory courses and see if you like Circuits, Dynamics, or Statics best?

StatGuy2000 said:
I don't entirely agree with this statement, because the above statement implies that management is somehow a skill that is innate or inborn. To the contrary, management (and I'm talking about management, not about leadership) is a skill that can be, and needs to be, taught.

There are various names for "a manager who can't, or won't, lead". Two of the printable ones are "administrator" and "bureaucrat".

But I sort of agree with StatGuy: you can teach almost anybody to count paperclips.

The best managers I've had (and I've had some good managers) are not people with MBAs but with a decade or more of experience as design or operations engineers. Certainly none of these excellent managers went to school wondering how quickly they could get into management.

Good management is hard. I'm currently a design manager with one direct report and managing another engineer is more difficult than most other challenges I've had.

JakeBrodskyPE said:

JakeBrodskyPE, I never claimed that management (nor leadership, which is different) is a science. However, what I disagree is that somehow management is an innate or inborn skill that is impossible to teach (i.e. you have to be born to be a manager), which is what you are specifically implying in your posts.

It is true that some people have an easier time to do what you are talking about -- reaching out to individuals and directing them toward an understandable goal. But this is a skill (not an art, but a skill) that can be taught and developed through practice. In this respect, management is like riding a bike or performing public speaking.

Please also note that I am dubious about the ability of most MBA programs to actually train someone to be good managers. IMHO, an MBA program's primary worth are to burnish one's resume and to build connections with fellow students or faculty.

Last edited:
AlephZero said:
There are various names for "a manager who can't, or won't, lead". Two of the printable ones are "administrator" and "bureaucrat".

But I sort of agree with StatGuy: you can teach almost anybody to count paperclips.

Management is not about "counting paperclips". It's about reaching out and organizing a group of people to direct them toward common goals (as JakeBrodskyPE put it), as well as allocating the resources of the group to ensure that the goals are achievable while balancing out the costs that may be involved. These are things that can be taught or developed through practice.

Leadership goes far beyond management -- it's about presenting an overall vision for the group you work with, and motivating people to want to pursue that vision, among many other things.

1. What is the main difference between communication and electronics engineering and mechanical engineering?

The main difference between communication and electronics engineering and mechanical engineering is the focus of study. Communication and electronics engineering deals with the design, development, and maintenance of electronic communication systems such as radios, televisions, and cell phones. Mechanical engineering, on the other hand, focuses on the design, development, and maintenance of mechanical systems such as engines, machines, and structures.

2. What are the job prospects for civil engineering compared to communication and electronics and mechanical engineering?

Civil engineering has a wider range of job prospects compared to communication and electronics engineering and mechanical engineering. Civil engineers can work in various industries including construction, transportation, and environmental engineering. Communication and electronics engineers typically work in industries related to telecommunication and technology, while mechanical engineers often work in industries related to manufacturing and energy.

3. Is the salary range for communication and electronics engineers similar to that of mechanical engineers?

The salary range for communication and electronics engineers and mechanical engineers can vary depending on factors such as experience, location, and industry. However, in general, mechanical engineers tend to have a higher salary range compared to communication and electronics engineers due to the high demand for their skills in various industries.

4. What are the core skills required for a career in communication and electronics engineering?

Some core skills required for a career in communication and electronics engineering include knowledge of circuit design, programming languages, and communication protocols. Additionally, strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as the ability to work with a team, are important for success in this field.

5. Can a person with a degree in civil engineering work in communication and electronics or mechanical engineering?

Yes, a person with a degree in civil engineering can potentially work in communication and electronics or mechanical engineering fields. However, they may need to gain additional skills and knowledge through specialized courses or on-the-job training to adapt to the specific requirements of these fields.