1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Commutator of covariant derivatives

1. Nov 19, 2016 #1

naima

Gold Member

Hi there
    I came across this paper.
    the author defines a covariant derivative in (1.3)
    ##D_\mu = \partial_\mu - ig A_\mu##
    He defines in (1.6)
    ##F_{jk} = i/g [D_j,D_k]##
    Why is it equal to ##\partial_j A_k - \partial_k A_j - ig [A_j, A_k]##?
    I suppose that it comes from a property of Lie derivatives.
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2016 #2

ShayanJ

Gold Member

Just put the definition of ## D_\mu ## in ## [D_\mu,D_\nu] ## and calculate!
    You can apply the above operator on a scalar field, i.e. calculate ## [D_\mu,D_\nu]\phi ## to avoid confusion.

4. Nov 19, 2016 #3

naima

Gold Member

Why does ##A_j \partial_k## disappear?

5. Nov 19, 2016 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What you have is a commutator of operators, in order to compute the commutator - which is another operator - you need to consider the action of the commutator.

I suggest you start with the following example with two operators acting on functions on the real line:

Operator ##A## is such that ##Af(x) = A(x)f(x)##, where ##A(x)## is a function.
    Operator ##B## is the derivative operator such that ##Bf(x) = f'(x)##.

The commutator ##[A,B]## is the operator such that ##[A,B]f(x) = (AB - BA)f(x)## for all ##f##. What is this operator?

6. Nov 21, 2016 #5

naima

Gold Member

Thank you

This shows that when you have product of operators D and B acting on a vector V, the notation DBV may be considered as a compositiion law
    D(BV) or else (DB) V if you can give sense to (DB)
    IF D and B are patrices the internal law of multiplication gives
    (DB)V = D(BV)
    here (DB) = D(B .)
    If D is a derivative we have D(BV) = (DB)V + B (DV)
    This gives a sense to (DB)
    here (DB) = DB - BD

So the equality in the paper comes from an implicit choice for the product of operators.
    Unless it is based on a more intrinsic way to mix covariant derivatives.

7. Nov 21, 2016 #6

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It does not matter whether D and B are matrices or linear operators on a general function space (including derivatives). The commutator [D,B] is defined as the linear operator such that [D,B]f = D(Bf) - B(Df) for all f in the vector space that the operators act on.

If D is a derivative and B is multiplication by a function b, you have D(Bf) = D(bf) = f (Db) + b(Df) = f(Db) + B(Df) and therefore D(Bf) - B(Df) = [D,B]f = f (Db), i.e., the commutator [D,B] is multiplication by the function Db. Note that I have used capital and lower case Bs to distinguish DB (operator product) from Db (a function).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted