Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Comoving distance and redshift relationship derivation

1. Jun 21, 2017 #1
    Hello PhysicsForum,

There is something I don't get at the end of this course notes PDF file. In the last section, titled "Comoving distance and redshift", which I have copied below, we have a short derivation of the comoving distance and redshift relation.

Almost all is well, the only thing that troubles me is : why is there no minus sign after da has been replaced by -a2dz ?

notes3_dvi.png

I have searched the web and found almost identical derivations in other courses or publications, but I never read the explanation for why the minus sign drops. I have found what seems to be the source material for most of those derivations : this paper from 93 (see section 6.3, "The General Redshift-Distance Relation" on 3rd page). It is referenced quite often by others when this comoving distance and redshift relationship shows up.

Maybe I am just missing some mathematical trick ? This is not super important of course, but it bugs me.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2017 #2

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Could it be because the integration limits have been swapped? (consider what it means when the limits are ##a_e -> a_0##, where e stands for emission, and ##0 -> z##.)

4. Jun 21, 2017 #3

kimbyd

Gold Member

Yes. The change of variables leads to two minus signs which cancel one another: ##da = -a^2 dz##, and reversing the limits of integration.

5. Jun 21, 2017 #4
    Thank you !

Thay's what I thought, but then it means that the ae limit corresponds to z when you do the change of variable, and a0 to 0 redshift ? Sounds weird, shouldn't it be the other way around ? Since a0 = a(t0) is the expansion when we receive the redshifted signal.

6. Jun 21, 2017 #5

kimbyd

Gold Member

This is probably easiest to see if you look at the equation for the scale factor in terms of the redshift:
    [tex]a = {1 \over 1+z}[/tex]

Here note that for ##z=0##, ##a=1##. That's the current scale factor and redshift. A far-away object, at, say, a redshift of ##z=2## is at a scale factor of ##a=1/3##. The integral above over ##da## would integrate from ##1/3## to 1, while the integral over ##dz## integrates from 0 to 2.

7. Jun 21, 2017 #6

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Think of how far you need to look. Higher z is seen farther than lower z, while lower a is seen farther than high a.

8. Jun 22, 2017 #7
    Makes sense now. Thank you !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted