Compactness and Continuity in R^n .... .... D&K Theorem 1.8.8 .... ....

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a proof in Duistermaat and Kolk's book on multidimensional real analysis, specifically in Chapter 1 on continuity. The question is about how the definitions of supremum and compactness imply that the supremum of a compact set is also an element of that set. The conversation provides definitions and results from the book to help answer the question.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading "Multidimensional Real Analysis I: Differentiation" by J. J. Duistermaat and J. A. C. Kolk ...

I am focused on Chapter 1: Continuity ... ...

I need help with an aspect of the proof of Theorem 1.8.8 ... ...

Duistermaat and Kolk's Theorem 1.8.8 and its proof read as follows:View attachment 7740In the above proof we read the following:

" ... ... The definitions of supremum and of the compactness of \(\displaystyle f(K)\) then give that \(\displaystyle \text{ sup } f(K) \in f(K)\). ... ... " My question is as follows:

How, exactly, do the definitions of supremum and of the compactness of \(\displaystyle f(K)\) imply that \(\displaystyle \text{ sup } f(K) \in f(K)\). ... ... ?Hope someone can help ... ...

Peter=========================================================================================Members of MHB reading the above post may be helped by access to (i) D&K's definition of supremum, and (ii) D&K's definition of compactness plus their early results on compactness ... so I am providing the same ... as follows:View attachment 7741View attachment 7742Hope that helps ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Peter,

According to the definition used in Theorem 1.6.1, if $a = \sup A$, then for each $n>0$ we can find a number $x_n$ in the interval $(a-1/n,a]$. This gives a sequence that converges to $a$.

If $A$ is compact, the limit ($a$) must be an element of $A$ by definition 1.8.1.

castor28 said:
Hi Peter,

According to the definition used in Theorem 1.6.1, if $a = \sup A$, then for each $n>0$ we can find a number $x_n$ in the interval $(a-1/n,a]$. This gives a sequence that converges to $a$.

If $A$ is compact, the limit ($a$) must be an element of $A$ by definition 1.8.1.
Hi castor28 ...

Thanks for the help ... appreciate it ...

Peter

What is the D&K Theorem 1.8.8?

The D&K Theorem 1.8.8 is a mathematical theorem that states the relationship between compactness and continuity in the n-dimensional Euclidean space, denoted as R^n. It is also known as the Heine-Borel Theorem.

What is compactness in R^n?

Compactness in R^n is a topological property that describes a set as being limited in size and shape. In other words, it means that the set is closed and bounded, and can be contained within a finite number of open sets.

What is continuity in R^n?

Continuity in R^n refers to the property of a function to have a smooth and unbroken graph, without any abrupt changes or breaks. This means that the function is well-behaved and does not have any sudden jumps or gaps.

How are compactness and continuity related in R^n?

The D&K Theorem 1.8.8 states that a function f: X → Y is continuous if and only if f^-1(y) is compact for every y∈Y. In other words, continuity implies compactness and vice versa.

Why is the D&K Theorem 1.8.8 important?

The D&K Theorem 1.8.8 is important because it provides a fundamental link between two important concepts in mathematics: compactness and continuity. It allows us to understand and analyze the behavior of functions in R^n, and has many applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.