Companies that hire Math majors (Mathematicians)? Does Google hire Mat

• Thread starter emlekarc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Google
In summary, it is not accurate to say that there is a lack of job prospects for mathematicians. While there may not be a high demand for the job title "mathematician," there is a demand for individuals with a mathematical background and skill set in areas such as data analysis, computer programming, and actuarial science. Many math majors also find employment by double majoring or pursuing additional studies in fields such as economics, accounting, or statistics. Additionally, companies like Google do hire mathematicians, particularly those with advanced degrees. It is important to consider the specific focus of your mathematical studies and how it may intersect with other fields, such as computer engineering, to increase job opportunities.
emlekarc
What are some companies that higher Mathematicans? Does Google hire Mathematicians?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're not planning to be a professor or do research, the job prospects are mostly bleak for mathematicians (sadly).

Very few private companies hire mathematicians. Lots of private companies hire individuals with a mathematical background and a set of skills they find valuable.

Math is a bit like bread. Not a big demand for plain math, but it can be the foundation for lots of careers in demand.

You'll have to add a lot more details to get much in the way of specifics.

Banks hire math majors

Math majors/masters always score high on Forbes' "best college majors" "best masters degree" lists but they never say where they get hired or anything.

Likes poseidon721
Zondrina said:
If you're not planning to be a professor or do research, the job prospects are mostly bleak for mathematicians (sadly).

That is not true. There is a high demand for math majors, particularly those with a background in statistics, to work in areas such as data mining, data analysis, and statistical analysis in a wide variety of firms e.g. market research analysis, banks and other financial institutions, pharmaceutical/biotech companies, etc.

Many math majors who also double major in computer science (the two degrees often go hand-to-hand) often work in the high-tech sector as computer programmers/software engineers. It's also quite common for math majors to double major in economics or accounting, and many of those often find employment in accounting or consulting firms. Having a major in math is also a good preparation to pursue the actuarial field, especially if you have passed at least some of the actuarial exams (although if I'm not mistaken, Locrian has posted that the entry-level actuarial job market is fairly saturated).

And to answer the OP, yes, Google does hire many math majors (often those with MS or PhD in math).

StatGuy2000 said:
That is not true. There is a high demand for math majors, particularly those with a background in statistics, to work in areas such as data mining, data analysis, and statistical analysis in a wide variety of firms e.g. market research analysis, banks and other financial institutions, pharmaceutical/biotech companies, etc.

Many math majors who also double major in computer science (the two degrees often go hand-to-hand) often work in the high-tech sector as computer programmers/software engineers. It's also quite common for math majors to double major in economics or accounting, and many of those often find employment in accounting or consulting firms. Having a major in math is also a good preparation to pursue the actuarial field, especially if you have passed at least some of the actuarial exams (although if I'm not mistaken, Locrian has posted that the entry-level actuarial job market is fairly saturated).

And to answer the OP, yes, Google does hire many math majors (often those with MS or PhD in math).

The OP's question is very general and does not clarify whether or not he/she intends to pursue statistics or stick to mathematics. I'm assuming mathematics and statistics are separate as career choices (even though they are the same educationally).

There definitely isn't a high demand for mathematics majors in particular. Most mathematicians are going to find themselves without a job these days and it's not because they aren't intelligent. Pursuing statistics and actuarial science would be a much better choice if you're looking to pay the bills at the end of the day.

Zondrina said:
The OP's question is very general and does not clarify whether or not he/she intends to pursue statistics or stick to mathematics. I'm assuming mathematics and statistics are separate as career choices (even though they are the same educationally).

There definitely isn't a high demand for mathematics majors in particular. Most mathematicians are going to find themselves without a job these days and it's not because they aren't intelligent. Pursuing statistics and actuarial science would be a much better choice if you're looking to pay the bills at the end of the day.

I question your assertion that "most mathematicians are going to find themselves without a job these days." On what basis are you making this assertion? Do you have relevant statistics or data to back up your assertion?

I agree that the OP's question is very general and doesn't clarify whether or not he/she intends to pursue statistics. On the other hand, I think you are being far too restrictive in terms of mathematics being a career choice.

If you do a search in online job forums like Workopolis, Monster, Indeed, etc., you aren't likely to find too many jobs with the exact job title "mathematician" (which I suspect you may be thinking of). However, if you dig deeper there are many jobs out there which require quantitative abilities and it is in these types of roles where math majors have found employment, especially math majors who double major or minor in fields such as economics, accounting or computer science, or pursue additional studies or specialization in statistics (it's also worth keeping in mind that in many schools in both Canada and the US, statistics courses are taught within the math department, so to train as a statistician you would in effect be pursuing a math major).

Thank you very much for your replies! I would be double majoring in Math and Computer Engineering. I would then go on to get my Masters, and PhD in Mathematics (I believe in the Applied Mathematics area but I'm not sure what I would focus on, but I don't think it would be Satistics).

emlekarc said:
Thank you very much for your replies! I would be double majoring in Math and Computer Engineering. I would then go on to get my Masters, and PhD in Mathematics (I believe in the Applied Mathematics area but I'm not sure what I would focus on, but I don't think it would be Satistics).

You really need to focus on the computer aspects of your double degree then as they are more than likely going to be what net you a job at the end of the day. Take that from me; I was personally enrolled in an honors double major in computer science & mathematics degree for almost 3 years (I've switched into electrical engineering since then). The mathematics is a hobby in comparison, no one really cares much for it in the industry unless you're good with statistics & data.

Zondrina said:

StatGuy2000 said:

I don't think you two are talking about the same thing, and I think both posts are reasonably true.

As far as I'm concerned, a mathematician is someone who studies novel areas of mathematics for a living. This is a definition I've encountered in literature and among professors. It's narrow, but I think it's right.

Given that definition, almost no one with a BS or even MS in math is actually a mathematician (grad students excluded). The majority of PhD's in statistics are not mathematicians. Grocery store cashiers, actuaries and statisticians all apply mathematics in their jobs, but just about none of them are mathematicians.

Almost everyone I worked at in my last job and my current job have degrees in math. None of them are mathematicians, all are employed in industry, and all have excellent job prospects.

Locrian said:
I don't think you two are talking about the same thing, and I think both posts are reasonably true.

As far as I'm concerned, a mathematician is someone who studies novel areas of mathematics for a living. This is a definition I've encountered in literature and among professors. It's narrow, but I think it's right.

Given that definition, almost no one with a BS or even MS in math is actually a mathematician (grad students excluded). The majority of PhD's in statistics are not mathematicians. Grocery store cashiers, actuaries and statisticians all apply mathematics in their jobs, but just about none of them are mathematicians.

Almost everyone I worked at in my last job and my current job have degrees in math. None of them are mathematicians, all are employed in industry, and all have excellent job prospects.

As I've stated above in my earlier post, if we define a mathematician using the narrow definition of someone who studies novel areas of mathematics for a living, most likely in academia or in similar research settings, then the job prospects are limited (although had asked whether Google hires mathematicians i.e. those who have PhDs in math, and the answer to that question is yes -- there not be many openings, but there certainly are some openings).

However, the impression I was getting from the OP was that he/she was wondering what are the job prospects for those who major in math or who complete graduate studies in math. In that broader context, math majors have excellent job prospects (with the caveat of what specific skill sets they have acquired).

StatGuy2000 said:
Google hires mathematicians i.e. those who have PhDs in math, and the answer to that question is yes -- there not be many openings, but there certainly are some openings).

I ran a search for that; The prospects are hopeless on a good day.

Zondrina said:
I ran a search for that; The prospects are hopeless on a good day.
Well I never said it was easy to get a position at Google, just that Google hires mathematicians.

There are plenty of companies that hire people with high level math skills. eg professional statisticians.

There are more openings in ancillary professions eg software development, software optimisation, data science. Here you use math skills all the time but they are not strictly mats jobs.

Companies like Amazon hire mathematicians to work out that they can have an inventory of million of items, some only sold a few times per year, and still make a profit. The optimisation problem is how to select and price these items.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001Q9E9F6/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
emlekarc said:
What are some companies that higher Mathematicans? Does Google hire Mathematicians?

As far as actual Mathematicians, I'm not sure.

I am a software engineer with a Math degree. It was not tremendously hard for me to get a good job out of college but probably not as easy as it would have been with a degree in Computer Science or Accounting or something. I got a lot of interviews though. I also had a minor in Computer Science. Most Math majors that I know minored in something like CS, Economics, Finance etc.

A couple of possible career paths: Software Engineer, Quantitative Analyst, Actuary

What types of companies hire Math majors (Mathematicians)?

Many different types of companies hire Math majors, including technology companies, financial institutions, consulting firms, and government agencies.

What skills do Math majors (Mathematicians) need to have to be hired by these companies?

Math majors need to have strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid understanding of mathematical concepts and theories. They also need to be proficient in computer programming and have strong communication skills.

Does Google hire Math majors (Mathematicians)?

Yes, Google does hire Math majors (Mathematicians). They are often hired for roles such as data analysts, software engineers, and quantitative analysts. Google values the problem-solving and analytical skills that Math majors possess.

What are some other popular companies that hire Math majors (Mathematicians)?

Other popular companies that hire Math majors include Microsoft, IBM, Amazon, Goldman Sachs, and the National Security Agency. These companies value the analytical and problem-solving skills that Math majors possess.

What are some potential career paths for Math majors (Mathematicians) in these companies?

Math majors can pursue a variety of career paths in these companies, including data analyst, software engineer, financial analyst, actuary, risk analyst, and operations research analyst. They can also move into leadership roles such as project managers or data science managers.