Comparing Introductory CS Courses for Physics and CS Majors

In summary, the conversation discusses two introductory courses in computer science, CSC 116 and CSC 119, and the differences between them. The first course, CSC 116, focuses on program design and logic, while the second course, CSC 119, covers basic programming concepts and implementation. The speaker suggests asking the instructor or someone in the department for more information about the courses.
DrummingAtom
Hi, there's a couple of intro courses of CS that I might take in the Spring. Are these 2 are different or not? Which would be better for a Physics possibly CS major.

CSC 116 Logic and Program Design
3 Credits
Introduces computer program design using concepts of structured programming and logic. Includes pseudocode, flowcharts, and structure charts. Covers variables, data types, control structures, looping, program breaks, and arrays.

CSC 119 Introduction to Programming
3 Credits
Focuses on a general introduction to computer programming. Emphasizes the design and implementation of structured and logically correct programs with good documentation. Focuses on basic programming concepts, including numbering systems, control structures, modularization, and data processing. A structured programming language is used to implement the student`s program designs.

Thanks for any guidance.

Physics news on Phys.org
116 looks like it might not actually do any "real" programming at all, just designing the program logic. Best thing to do is ask the instructor, or someone in the department who knows about those two courses.

Related to Comparing Introductory CS Courses for Physics and CS Majors

1. What courses should I take for a major in Computer Science?

The specific courses you should take for a major in Computer Science will depend on your university's curriculum. However, most programs will require courses in programming languages, data structures and algorithms, computer architecture, and software engineering. It is also recommended to take courses in mathematics, such as calculus and discrete mathematics, as they provide a foundation for understanding computer science concepts.

2. Are there any recommended electives for a Computer Science major?

Many universities offer a wide range of electives for Computer Science majors. Some popular choices include artificial intelligence, machine learning, web development, and database management. It is a good idea to choose electives that align with your interests and career goals.

3. Can I take Computer Science courses if I have no prior coding experience?

Yes, you can still take Computer Science courses even if you have no prior coding experience. Many introductory courses are designed for students with no coding background and will teach you the basics of programming. However, it is always helpful to have some familiarity with coding before starting a Computer Science major.

4. What languages do I need to know for a Computer Science major?

The specific programming languages you will need to know for a Computer Science major will vary depending on your university's curriculum. However, some popular languages used in Computer Science courses include Java, Python, C++, and JavaScript. It is also beneficial to have a basic understanding of other languages, as they each have their own strengths and applications.

5. How can I prepare for a Computer Science major before starting university?

One way to prepare for a Computer Science major is to start learning programming languages and familiarizing yourself with basic computer science concepts. There are many online resources, such as coding tutorials and free online courses, that can help you get started. Additionally, practicing problem-solving and critical thinking skills will also be beneficial for your studies in Computer Science.