Comparing Power Generation Potentials of Hydrogen and Xenon

In summary, the most commonly used working fluids in power generating systems are water (steam) and air due to their availability and specific heats. However, if hydrogen and xenon were equally available, hydrogen could potentially generate the power of 7 steam plants at the same temperature due to its larger heat capacity. However, this would require 7x the input energy. Additionally, the phase change from liquid to gas is what makes a good working fluid, not just the specific heat. It is not possible to use hydrogen or xenon as they do not condense at near room temperature without extremely high pressures. There is no direct connection between specific heats and Carnot efficiency. To better understand these concepts, it is recommended to read a book on statistical
XIX
Generally the working fluids in a power generating system is either water (steam) or air. This I imagine is because they are widely available fluids. The specific heats of these ranging from some 1 - 2 kJ/kg-K.

For the sake of argument, let's assume that hydrogen or xenon are equally available and comparably priced to water and air. Let us also say that the explosive nature of hydrogen not a matter of concern.

Specific Heat Hydrogen = 14 kJ/kg-K
Specific Heat Xenon = 0.16 kJ/kg-K

It would seem to me that a hydrogen system has the potential to generate the power of 7 steam plants at the same temperature due to the larger heat capacity.

The xenon seems like it would have a higher efficiency due to being able to reach higher temperatures faster.

Is this line of thinking correct? It would seem to me in binary power cycles the working fluids with the lower specific heat would be a better choice.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Wouldn't this be worse - it takes 7x as much energy to heat the hydrogen?

Anyway, in a steam plant you are normally boiling the working fluid to get an increase in volume and so pressure - something with a low latent heat vapourisation would be good

XIX said:
Generally the working fluids in a power generating system is either water (steam) or air. This I imagine is because they are widely available fluids. The specific heats of these ranging from some 1 - 2 kJ/kg-K.

For the sake of argument, let's assume that hydrogen or xenon are equally available and comparably priced to water and air. Let us also say that the explosive nature of hydrogen not a matter of concern.

Specific Heat Hydrogen = 14 kJ/kg-K
Specific Heat Xenon = 0.16 kJ/kg-K

It would seem to me that a hydrogen system has the potential to generate the power of 7 steam plants at the same temperature due to the larger heat capacity.
No. Two problems with your logic:

1. I'm not sure if your last sentence is meant to imply higher efficiency, but the working fluid is just a carrier for energy. In order to get 7x the power generation, you need 7x the input energy.
2. More directly, it isn't specific (sensible) heat that is what makes it a good working fluid, but rather the phase change from liquid to gas that allows it to absorb the most heat, while pumping occurs in the liquid phase for least loss. So you can't use hydrogen or xenon since they don't condense to liquid at near room temperature without ridiculously high pressures.

Ok so the phase change is generating high pressures. Through heating a gas a pressure increase can be achieved but, you suggest that it isn't nearly as dramatic as a phase change.

This brings up something else that I have had on my mind in the past; is there a way to calculate the pressure generated by converting the water into steam? Also, can I calculate the pressure increase due to a chemical reaction say, gasoline burning in a cylinder?

As far as the efficiency, I was trying to make the connection between specific heats and Carnot efficiency (if there is one). I guess you could leave the fluid in the heater longer to achieve the same temperatures. So it would appear that the relation between them is a matter of time and energy "stored."

phase changes occur in equilibrium at constant pressure and temperature

there is no connection between carnot efficiency and the working substance

read a book on statistical mechanics before trying to think about this further

1. What is the difference between hydrogen and xenon as power sources?

Hydrogen and xenon are both chemical elements, but they have very different properties. Hydrogen is a highly flammable gas that can be used as a fuel source, while xenon is a noble gas that is inert and does not react with other substances. This makes hydrogen a more practical choice for power generation.

2. Which element has a higher power generation potential?

Hydrogen has a higher power generation potential compared to xenon. This is because hydrogen has a lower atomic weight and can produce more energy per unit mass during combustion or fusion reactions.

3. How are hydrogen and xenon used for power generation?

Hydrogen is typically used in fuel cells or combustion engines to generate electricity, while xenon is used in nuclear power plants as a coolant or moderator in nuclear reactions. Xenon can also be used in ion propulsion systems for spacecrafts.

4. Are there any environmental concerns with using hydrogen or xenon for power generation?

While hydrogen is a clean-burning fuel and does not produce greenhouse gases, its production and storage can have environmental impacts. Xenon, on the other hand, is a rare and expensive gas that is not widely available, making it less practical for large-scale power generation.

5. Could hydrogen and xenon be used together for power generation?

It is possible to use a combination of hydrogen and xenon for power generation, but it would require advanced technology and may not be cost-effective. Some research is being done on using xenon as a fuel in fusion reactions, which could potentially produce more energy than hydrogen alone.