1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Comparison for Experimental vs Literature values for alumnium

1. Apr 2, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I did a 'three point bend test' and a 'tensile test' on the material as-rolled Aluminium.

I then messured and calculated the proepties of the metal and compared it with the literature values found on a CES software. Unfortunately, I can find significant differences for the following:

attachment.php?attachmentid=68230&stc=1&d=1396422257.png

Can you give me some of the possible reasons for the difference between the experimental and literature, especially for the 0.2% proof of stress?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2014 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Aluminum comes in a variety of different alloys and heat treatments. I hope you have compared like with like, in terms of the material used in the experiment versus the material properties obtained from the literature search.

4. Apr 2, 2014 #3
    Exact material. Obviously the experiment had some sort of misreading and other inaccuracies. I want to know these reasons and how it affects the properties

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted