Comparison of two Thermal Physics Books

In summary, during the conversation, the speakers discussed the upcoming Physics Ph. D. Qualifier exam, which will cover E&M and Thermodynamics/Statistical Mechanics. They are allowed to bring two books to each exam, and one speaker is considering using Griffiths and either Kittel or Carter for the Thermo section. They ask for opinions on the two books, with one reviewer stating that Carter is less advanced than Kittel and may not cover important topics like canonical and grand canonical formalism. However, the other speaker mentions that they have already studied these topics at the graduate level. The conversation ends with the speakers wishing each other good luck and one of them returning to studying.
a_h
Hello everyone!

I am taking my Physics Ph. D. Qualifier on Friday and Saturday. During Saturday's exam we will be tested on E&M and Thermodynamics/Statistical Mechanics. We get to take 2 books to each exam, so I basically can take 1 Thermo Book with me (I'm also taking Griffiths on Saturday). The exam is supposed to cover material up to "advanced undergraduate," and, for Thermo specifically, to the level of Kittel: "Thermal Physics."

As an undergrad, we used "Classical and Statistical Thermodynamics" by Ashley Carter. Did anyone else use this book? Does anyone know how Kittel and Carter compare (in terms of the amount of material covered)?

If there is a great deal more material covered in Kittel, I may try to get it to study and take it on Saturday. Otherwise, I'll just use Carter, especially since that is the one I am used to.

Thanks for your time, y'all.
Austin

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know the book, but if I were you I would definitely skim through Kittel to make sure you know all the stuff you should. (although it's a bit late to learn new material)

After reading some reviews, it seems that Carter is less advanced/formal than Kittel, with less emphasis on statistical physics. One reviewer even said
it's also at a very basic level - it doesn't cover canonical or grand canonical formalism at all
If that's true, I'm wishing you good luck. I can't imagine that the Phd qualifier does not expect you to know canonical and grand canonical...

Landau said:
I don't know the book, but if I were you I would definitely skim through Kittel to make sure you know all the stuff you should. (although it's a bit late to learn new material)

After reading some reviews, it seems that Carter is less advanced/formal than Kittel, with less emphasis on statistical physics. One reviewer even said
If that's true, I'm wishing you good luck. I can't imagine that the Phd qualifier does not expect you to know canonical and grand canonical...

Hi Landau,

Thanks for replying. Actually, I've already had Statistical Mechanics here (i.e., at the graduate level), so I feel pretty comfortable on that front (as in, canonical and grand canonical roll off my tongue :tongue: ). It's more the classical thermodynamics aspect that I wanted to compare.

Austin

Ah, that's good! :) Since much of Kittel's book is statistical, you'll probably be fine anyway. I'm afraid I can't help you with the comparison, I only used Kittel in my two Thermal Physic bachelor courses. Good luck!

Alrighty, that's great to hear. Thanks for your time and wishing me luck!

Now back to studying...:smile:

1. What are the main differences between the two thermal physics books?

The main differences between the two thermal physics books are their approach to explaining concepts, the level of mathematical rigor, the inclusion of real-world examples and applications, the organization and layout of the material, and the overall writing style and language used.

2. Can you recommend which book is better for a beginner in thermal physics?

It ultimately depends on the individual's learning style and background knowledge. Some may find one book more accessible than the other, while others may prefer the level of detail and explanations in a different book. It is best to read reviews and sample chapters of both books to determine which one suits your needs best.

3. Do these books cover the same topics in thermal physics?

Both books cover the fundamental concepts of thermal physics, such as thermodynamics, kinetic theory, and statistical mechanics. However, the extent of coverage and the level of detail may differ between the two books. It is essential to review the table of contents and chapter summaries to see which topics are covered in each book.

4. Are there any notable strengths or weaknesses of these books?

Each book may have its own strengths and weaknesses, which can vary depending on the reader's perspective. Some may find one book to have clearer explanations, while others may prefer the other book's focus on applications. It is best to read reviews and compare the books' features to determine which one aligns with your learning goals and preferences.

5. Are there any supplemental resources or materials provided with these books?

Some thermal physics books may come with supplementary materials such as online lecture videos, practice problems, or interactive simulations. It is essential to check the publisher's website or the book's description to see if any additional resources are available. These supplemental materials can greatly enhance the learning experience and understanding of the subject matter.