Compass with stronger magnetic?

In summary, the conversation discusses the effectiveness of a compass with a stronger magnetic in returning to the position of south or north. There is a question about whether a stronger magnetic will result in a quicker return compared to a weaker magnetic. The conversation also considers the factors of weight and temperature in determining the strength of the magnetic. However, it is noted that rare Earth magnets can produce stronger fields without increasing in size, and the role of electricity in magnet strength is questioned.
tor1chip
If compass on is not heading to south or north, the stronger magnetic will help it quicker return to the position?

Physics news on Phys.org
The compass have the ability to turn around to the position of south or north if not in the position, for the compass with stronger magnetic, will it return more quickly than the weak magnetic one?

You can answer your own question: what would you expect if an extremely weak magnetic compass needle were used...say one that is barely able to turn in response to the Earth's magnetic field because it is so weak.

I am worried about the not extremely way... There are two points I consider: 1) If the magnetic is stronger then the needle should be heavier. 2) if the magnetic is made by electricity, then the temperature on the needle will be higher, so making the magnetic weak. So the fastest returning may not by the extremely strong magnetic needle. So how strong is best?

tor1chip said:
I am worried about the not extremely way... There are two points I consider: 1) If the magnetic is stronger then the needle should be heavier. 2) if the magnetic is made by electricity, then the temperature on the needle will be higher, so making the magnetic weak. So the fastest returning may not by the extremely strong magnetic needle. So how strong is best?

hi tor1chip

1) ... not necessarily, rare Earth magnets produce stronger magnetic fields with no increase in size over a nickel/iron magnet, in fact for the same magnetic flux density the magnet will most likely be much smaller

2) ... electricity ? what electricity ? :)

cheers
Dave

1. What is a "compass with stronger magnetic"?

A compass with stronger magnetic refers to a compass that has a stronger and more powerful magnetic needle, which allows it to accurately and reliably point towards the Earth's magnetic north pole.

2. How is a "compass with stronger magnetic" different from a regular compass?

A compass with stronger magnetic differs from a regular compass in that it has a more powerful magnetic needle, which means it is able to withstand external magnetic influences and provide more accurate readings.

3. What are the benefits of using a "compass with stronger magnetic"?

The main benefit of using a compass with stronger magnetic is that it provides more accurate and reliable readings, making it a better tool for navigation and orienteering in challenging environments.

4. Can a "compass with stronger magnetic" be affected by other magnetic objects?

Yes, a compass with stronger magnetic can still be affected by other magnetic objects, but its stronger magnetic needle means it is less likely to be impacted and will still provide accurate readings in most situations.

5. How do I know if I need to use a "compass with stronger magnetic"?

If you are planning to navigate or orienteer in areas with high levels of magnetic interference, such as near power lines or large metal objects, a compass with stronger magnetic may be necessary to ensure accurate readings.