Should I stay and complete a physics degree on top of my math degree?

In summary, the speaker is currently in their 4th year of college and can complete their mathematics degree next year, but also have the option to stay another year and complete a physics degree. They have a scattered math skill set and are currently doing research in various areas. They are considering staying another year to take important classes and get published in order to have a better chance at graduate school.
James Wine
My situation is different than most people who come to this board; I think anyways. I'm currently in my 4th year of school and can complete my mathematics degree next May. I can also choose to stay one more year and complete a physics degree on top of the math degree.

However here's where I introduce the reasons why I'm stuck on my decision.

1. I'm a 9th grade high school drop out, aka I didn't learn math really until I started college after working long painful nights in a warehouse. Also when I did start I wasn't the best student so my GPA suffers from my first few semesters, but all my upper division classes are A's and a few scattered B's however there is a notice-able paradigm shift after I took Calc II where my grades went up. So my math skills are "scattered" at best. I started out in Algebra I. Now if it's stochastic processes or real/complex analysis I have a firm grip on that. However abstract algebra on the other hand I haven't taken the formal class on it and am reviewing it over the summer. Although I did score on the Putnam this year(10 made me very happy, proofs were bad for the other 3 I had "correct" answers for).

2. As of right now I have no publications, but I do have 3 research projects going on with some of my professors in the following areas; univalent functions, fractals in nonlinear dynamics, and numerical methods for SDEs. If I stay I have a reasonable shot at getting published while I finish up some my remaining physics classes(semi-light load they gave me a break on theoretical mechanics since I essentially have my math degree already).

3. I'd like to go to graduate school doing some kind of cross-departmental research in mathematical physics, and having upper division classes besides statistical mechanics(took it at the same time as Calc-Physics II that was an experience) would probably be beneficial in that environment.

4. If I do decide to take the route of graduating this year I need to start preping for my GREs now before I actually take a class on abstract algebra or topology.

5. I have strong recommendations from the professors I do research with, my study partners graduated this semester and are going to Stanford,Georgia Tech, and NYU on full rides. Our school is not ranked for mathematics but is for physics(low but I believe it's ranked, and if not it should be).

I'm taking these comments very seriously so please answer wholeheartedly

Physics news on Phys.org
If I were you I would stay another year. I notice from your post that this is also what you want.

Topology and abstract algebra are too important not to have seen, so take the classes. Complete the physics degree and get published. You'll have a far better chance at grad school with these things!

1. Is "Complete Physics" a comprehensive guide for all topics in physics?

Yes, "Complete Physics" covers all major topics in physics, including mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and modern physics.

2. Does "Complete Physics" include practice problems and solutions?

Yes, "Complete Physics" contains a variety of practice problems and detailed solutions to help readers further understand and apply the concepts discussed.

3. Is "Complete Physics" suitable for all levels of education?

Yes, "Complete Physics" is suitable for students of all levels, from high school to university, as it covers both basic and advanced concepts in physics.

4. Does "Complete Physics" use real-world examples to explain concepts?

Yes, "Complete Physics" includes real-world examples and applications to help readers better understand the relevance and importance of physics in our daily lives.

5. Is "Complete Physics" a reliable source for learning physics?

Yes, "Complete Physics" is written by experts in the field and follows established scientific principles, making it a trustworthy source for learning physics.