1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex analysis - Cauchy Theorem

1. Apr 13, 2006 #1
    Hi again. Can somebody help me out with this question?

"[tex]\int_{C_1(0)} \frac {e^{z^n + z^{n-1}+.....+ z + 1}} {e^{z^2}} \,dz[/tex]

Where [itex]C_r(p)[/itex] is a circle with centre p and radius r, traced anticlockwise."

I'd be guessing that you have to compare this integral with the Cauchy integral formula. I have no idea how to go about doing this though!

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm afraid you are going to have to explain what those "zn", "zn-1", etc. mean. Are those powers of z: "zn", "zn-1", etc.?
    Oh, and is that "z" supposed to be ez?
    That is, do you mean:
    [tex]\int_{C_1(0)} \frac {e^{z^n} + e^{z^{n-1}}+.....+ e^z + 1} {e^{z^2}} \,dz[/tex]
    (Click on that to see the code and note, especially my use of "{ }".)

Since, looking at your LaTex code, it is clear that is what you mean, here is how I would do it: Go ahead and divide each term by [itex]e^{z^2}[/itex]:
    [tex]\int_{C_1(0)} \left({e^{z^{n-1}} + e^z^{n-3}+.....+ e^{z^{-1}} + e^{-2}}\right)dz[/tex]

Now, which of those, if any, are singular inside C1(0)?

4. Apr 16, 2006 #3
    I assure you, this is what it says in the question:

[tex]\int_{C_1(0)} \frac {e^{z^n + z^{n-1}+.....+ z + 1}} {e^{z^2}} \,dz[/tex]

Unless my lecturer made a mistake in printing the question. I doubt it though.

I think you're supposed to look at it as [itex]e^w[/itex] where [itex] w = z^n + z^{n-1}+.....+ z + 1[/itex]

I suppose you could use the rule [itex] e^{a+b} = e^a * e^b [/itex] to try and start sorting this out.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2006
  5. Apr 16, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, okay, then, do what I suggested with that integrand and you get
    [tex]\int_{C_1(0)}\left(e^{z^{n-2}}+ e^{z^{n-3}}+ ...+ ze^{-2z}+ e^{-2z}\right)dz[/tex]
    Once again, which of those, if any, are singular inside the unit circle? Those that are not singular (the exponent of e is greater not negative) will give 0 integral. For those that are, you might try writing [itex]z= e^{i\theta}[/itex] and integrating from [itex]\theta= 0 to 2\pi[/itex].

6. Apr 16, 2006 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, he gets

[tex]e^{z^n} \cdot e^{z^{n-1}} \cdot \ldots
    \cdot e^{z^3} \cdot e^{z^1} \cdot e^{z^0}[/tex]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2006
  7. Apr 17, 2006 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Hey, just because I can't do arithmetic!

8. Apr 17, 2006 #7
    Would I be right in saying that the answer is just zero?

I'm guessing this is because all the exponential powers are positive and so Cauchy's Theorem applies?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?