Complex analysis - maximum/modulus principle

In summary: Apply min/max modulus to f then. What does this tell you about |f| on the interior compared to it's values on the boundary? (remember |f| is a continuous function, lambda+interior is a closed and boundeed set)If there's no zero of f, you can apply maximum modulus principle to both f and 1/f. What happens?If there's no zero of f, you can apply maximum modulus principle to both f and 1/f. What happens? If you have minimum modulus principle as well, then you can forget about 1/f.
sweetvirgogirl
Suppose that f is analytic on a domain D, which contains a simple closed curve lambda and the inside of lambda. If |f| is constant on lambda, then either f is constant or f has a zero inside lambda ...
i am supposed to use maximum/modulus principle to prove it ...

here is my take:
if f is constant, i don't see a reason why |f| wouldn't be constant :)

if f is not constant, then the max/min principle applies ...
meaning |f| can not have any local max/min on D
now i am lost at this point ...

i would also like a little clarification on what f is constant on lambda means, because the way i see it .. .if lambda is a closed loop (say a circle), then how can f be always increasing /decreasing ...? maybe i am misinterpreting the problem

Physics news on Phys.org
if your curve lambda is a(t), t from 0 to 1 then |f| constant on lambda means |f(a(t))|=K for some constant K and all t. Normally, |f(a(t))| can wobble all over the place as it winds around the loop, it can't be increasing on all of [0,1].

if f is a constant on some set, then any function of f is a constant, specifically it's modulus.

What happens if you have no zero? Consider 1/f.

shmoe said:
if your curve lambda is a(t), t from 0 to 1 then |f| constant on lambda means |f(a(t))|=K for some constant K and all t. Normally, |f(a(t))| can wobble all over the place as it winds around the loop, it can't be increasing on all of [0,1].

if f is a constant on some set, then any function of f is a constant, specifically it's modulus.

What happens if you have no zero? Consider 1/f.
thats what i thought ...

but i still have no insight about f having any zero inside lambda ...

like i kinda see it visually ... like i know it makes sense ... but i got no clue how to "prove" it

If there's no zero of f, you can apply maximum modulus principle to both f and 1/f. What happens?

shmoe said:
If there's no zero of f, you can apply maximum modulus principle to both f and 1/f. What happens?
if i apply max/min modulus to both f and 1/f, then it means both f and 1/f don't have a local max/min ... so what does it tell me?
i'm sorry ... i don't know if it's lack of confidence or what .. but i still don't see it

If you have minimum modulus principle as well, then you can forget about 1/f.

Apply min/max modulus to f then. What does this tell you about |f| on the interior compared to it's values on the boudnary? (remember |f| is a continuous function, lambda+interior is a closed and boundeed set)

1. What is the maximum/modulus principle in complex analysis?

The maximum/modulus principle is a fundamental theorem in complex analysis that states that the absolute value of a holomorphic function cannot have a maximum value in the interior of its domain. In other words, the maximum value of a holomorphic function can only occur on the boundary of its domain.

2. How is the maximum/modulus principle used in complex analysis?

The maximum/modulus principle is used to prove many important theorems in complex analysis, such as the open mapping theorem and the maximum modulus theorem. It is also used to find the behavior of complex functions near singularities and to analyze the convergence of power series.

3. What is the relationship between the maximum/modulus principle and the Cauchy integral formula?

The maximum/modulus principle is closely related to the Cauchy integral formula, which states that the value of a holomorphic function at a point is determined by its values on the boundary of a region containing that point. The maximum/modulus principle can be seen as a consequence of the Cauchy integral formula, as it follows from the fact that holomorphic functions are continuous and attain their maximum values on the boundary.

4. Can the maximum/modulus principle be applied to non-holomorphic functions?

No, the maximum/modulus principle only applies to holomorphic functions, which are complex functions that are differentiable at every point in their domain. For non-holomorphic functions, the maximum value can occur at any point, including in the interior of its domain.

5. What are some real-world applications of the maximum/modulus principle?

The maximum/modulus principle has many applications in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used in the analysis of electrical circuits, fluid dynamics, and heat conduction problems. It is also used in optimization problems and in financial modeling to determine the maximum possible profit or minimum possible risk.