1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex analysis question

1. Feb 18, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Evaluate [tex]\int_{\gamma} \sqrt {z} dz[/tex] where [tex]\gamma[/tex] is the upper half of the unit circle.

I contend that this problem does not make sense i.e it is ambiguous because they did not tell us specifically what branch of the complex square root function to use. Am I right?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2008 #2
    Well, the integral isn't defined if the function fails to be continuous on the path. So, while you could say, "It's too ambiguous," it's pretty clear that they mean, "Pick a branch for which this makes sense." Now, if the integral winds up depending on the branch you choose for which it makes sense, maybe you've got a problem. But I'm pretty sure it wouldn't.

Though don't quote me on that. I suck at this stuff for some reason.

4. Feb 19, 2008 #3
    Anyone know how to prove that the integral is independent of the branch if the branch makes sense?

5. Feb 19, 2008 #4
    Well, that has to do with the function having analytic antiderivative in a region containing the path. Can't remember the proof off the top of my head though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?