Mapping of a Complex Region Using a Rational Function

In summary, Dick has a solution to the homework equation that is between two circles but he needs to show that it is between the circles.
Genericcoder

Homework Statement

Let S = {z : 1<= Im(z) <=2}. Determine f(S) if f: S ->C
defined by
f(z) = (z + 1) / (z - 1)

Homework Equations

z = x + iy

The Attempt at a Solution

[attempt at solution]

so here my solution

f(z) = 1 + 2/(z - 1)

after doing some algebra <-> f(z) = x^2 + y^2/((x - 1)^2 + y^2) - [2y/((x-1)^2 + y^2)]i

therefore Im(z) = -2y/((x - 1)^2 + y^2) so F(S) = {z : 1<= (-2y)/((x-1)^2 + y^2) <= 2}
but I am stuck at this point I don't know wat does this represent.

Physics news on Phys.org
Genericcoder said:

Homework Statement

Let S = {z : 1<= Im(z) <=2}. Determine f(S) if f: S ->C
defined by
f(z) = (z + 1) / (z - 1)

Homework Equations

z = x + iy

The Attempt at a Solution

[attempt at solution]

so here my solution

f(z) = 1 + 2/(z - 1)

after doing some algebra <-> f(z) = x^2 + y^2/((x - 1)^2 + y^2) - [2y/((x-1)^2 + y^2)]i

therefore Im(z) = -2y/((x - 1)^2 + y^2) so F(S) = {z : 1<= (-2y)/((x-1)^2 + y^2) <= 2}
but I am stuck at this point I don't know wat does this represent.

Concentrate on what the boundaries of your region are. For example, if 1=(-2y)/((x-1)^2 + y^2) what kind of curve is that? Multiply it out and complete the square. At a more abstract level f(z) is a Mobius transformation. It will map lines to lines or circles, yes?

Last edited:
yes I did that I got something weird

I got (x-1)^2 + y^2 <= -2y <= 2( (x - 1)^2 + y^2)) the way I see it its between two circles but how to show that ?

Genericcoder said:
yes I did that I got something weird

I got (x-1)^2 + y^2 <= -2y <= 2( (x - 1)^2 + y^2)) the way I see it its between two circles but how to show that ?

Just look at the boundaries. Where your inequality becomes an equality. 1=(-2y)/((x-1)^2 + y^2) and 2=(-2y)/((x-1)^2 + y^2). What are the boundary curves? And yes, they are two circles.

o I see I figured it out ty a lot Dick!

1. What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of complex numbers. It is a powerful tool used to understand and analyze the behavior of functions in the complex plane.

2. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that can be expressed in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (defined as the square root of -1). They are represented on a complex plane, with the real part on the x-axis and the imaginary part on the y-axis.

3. What are some applications of complex analysis?

Complex analysis has numerous applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to solve problems related to fluid dynamics, electrical circuits, and quantum mechanics, among others.

4. What is a complex function?

A complex function is a function that maps complex numbers to complex numbers. It can be expressed in the form f(z) = u + iv, where u and v are real-valued functions of the complex variable z = x + iy.

5. What is the Cauchy-Riemann equation?

The Cauchy-Riemann equation is a set of conditions that must be satisfied by a complex function in order for it to be differentiable. It relates the partial derivatives of the real and imaginary parts of the function and is a fundamental tool in complex analysis.