Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Complex Analysis Radius of Convergence.

1. Jun 21, 2016 #1
    Hello, I have two questions regarding the Radius of convergence.

1. What should we do at the interval (R-eps, R)
    2. It used definition to prove radius of convergence, but I am not sure if it is necessary-sufficient condition of convergence. I get that this can be a sufficient condition but not sure of the necessity

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2016 #2

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If I understand the question, this may help -- The ε was picked arbitrarily small so the proof shows convergence all the way to ε = 0. So there really is no specific interval (R-ε, R) to worry about.

4. Jun 22, 2016 #3

hm the author used (L+eps)|Z|<1 to argue that L^n*|Z|^n < (L+eps)^n|Z|^n < r^n whereas r<1

but the thing is as I showed at the uploaded png file (if the derivation is correct), it is clear that |Z|= R-eps satisfies the condition |Z| < R and if |Z|= R-eps, r = 1.

which implies (L+eps)|Z|<1 cannot be true. for all |Z|<R
    Ah, also I made a mistake. It should be R+R^2*eps-eps-R*eps^2

hmm do you agree?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  5. Jun 22, 2016 #4

maybe I screwed up at somewhere.

Attached Files:

6. Jun 22, 2016 #5

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe not. But the point is that ε >0 is arbitrarily small (or r is arbitrarily near 1) so the the interval you are worried about shrinks down to nothing.

7. Jun 22, 2016 #6
    Although we ignore the interval, the argument that (L+eps)|Z|<1 does not hold true if we take |Z| = R - eps. (I guess) It just bugs me and I am stuck at that page ;(

and my last conclusion R<1 doesn't seem right at all too.

8. Jun 23, 2016 #7

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

It isn't clear to me what is to be proven. We've only been shown the last part of the text that states "the theorem".

9. Jun 23, 2016 #8
    I am sorry.

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted