Complex analysis - the logarithmic function

In summary, the function Log(-z) + i(pi) is a branch of logz analytic in the domain D* consisting of all points in the plane except those on the nonnegative real axis. This is because Log(-z) is analytic except for a branch cut on the positive real axis, and adding i(pi) does not affect this property. Additionally, by showing that exp(Log(-z)+i*pi)=z, we can see that Log(-z) + i(pi) satisfies the definition of a branch of log(z).
mariab89

Homework Statement

Show that the function Log(-z) + i(pi) is a branch of logz analytic in the domain D* consisting of all points in the plane except those on the nonnegative real axis.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that log z: = Log |z| + iArgz + i2k(pi)
I'm not sure where to start with this question, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
You know Log(z) is analytic except for a branch cut on the negative real axis. That means Log(-z) is analytic except for a branch cut on the positive real axis. So is Log(-z)+i*pi. Now you just have to show that it is a branch of log(z) by showing exp(Log(-z)+i*pi)=z.

so to show that what i did was...

exp(Log(-z) + i*pi) = exp(Log(-z))exp(i*pi) = (-z) (-1) = z

but.. I am still unclear how this shows that Log(-z) + i*pi is a branch of log z.

If g(z) satisfies exp(g(z))=z then it's a branch of log(z). That's what defines log(z). It's an inverse function of exp(z).

oh ok i see now!
Thanks a lot!

1. What is the definition of a logarithmic function in complex analysis?

A logarithmic function in complex analysis is a complex-valued function that is defined as the inverse of an exponential function. It is typically written as f(z) = log(z), where z is a complex number.

2. How is the logarithmic function different from the exponential function in complex analysis?

The exponential function in complex analysis is defined as e^z, while the logarithmic function is defined as the inverse of the exponential function, log(z). The two functions are related through the identity e^log(z) = z.

3. What is the principal branch of the logarithmic function in complex analysis?

The principal branch of the logarithmic function is the branch that is defined for all complex numbers except for the negative real numbers. It is typically denoted as Log(z) and is the one used in most applications of complex analysis.

4. How is the logarithmic function used in complex analysis?

The logarithmic function is used in complex analysis to solve exponential equations, to calculate complex powers, and to find the roots of complex numbers. It is also a key tool in the study of complex integrals and complex differential equations.

5. What are the properties of the logarithmic function in complex analysis?

The logarithmic function in complex analysis has several important properties, including the fact that it is analytic everywhere except at the branch point, its derivative is equal to 1/z, and it follows the rules of exponentiation and logarithms, such as log(ab) = log(a) + log(b).