1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Analysis: Using polar form to show arg(z1) - arg(z2) = 2n*pi

1. Jan 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given that z[itex]_{1}[/itex]z[itex]_{2}[/itex] ≠ 0, use the polar form to prove that
    Re(z[itex]_{1}[/itex][itex]\bar{z}[/itex][itex]_{2}[/itex]) = norm (z[itex]_{1}[/itex]) * norm (z[itex]_{2}[/itex]) [itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex] θ[itex]_{1}[/itex] - θ[itex]_{2}[/itex] = 2n∏, where n is an integer, θ[itex]_{1}[/itex] = arg(z[itex]_{1}[/itex]), and θ[itex]_{2}[/itex] = arg(z[itex]_{2}[/itex]). Also, [itex]\bar{z}[/itex][itex]_{2}[/itex] is the conjugate of z[itex]_{2}[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

norm (z) = [itex]\sqrt{a^{2} + b^{2}}[/itex], where z = a +i*b.

norm (z) = r, where r is the radius.

z = r[cos θ + i*sin θ]

3. The attempt at a solution

Trying to prove the forward direction, I know the above formulas, and that arg(z[itex]_{1}[/itex]z[itex]_{2}[/itex]) = θ[itex]_{1}[/itex] + θ[itex]_{2}[/itex] +2n∏.
    I'm having trouble getting the first step. I know that norm (z[itex]_{1}[/itex]) * norm (z[itex]_{2}[/itex]) = r[itex]_{1}[/itex]r[itex]_{2}[/itex], but I don't know if this is how you begin.

Thanks for any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2012 #2
    remember

[tex]{z_1} = {r_1}{e^{{\theta _1}\pi i}},{z_2} = {r_2}{e^{{\theta _2}\pi i}},{{\bar z}_2} = {r_2}{e^{ - {\theta _2}\pi i}}[/tex]

then the first condition is

[tex]{\mathop{\rm Re}\nolimits} \left( {{r_1}{r_2}{e^{i\pi ({\theta _1} - {\theta _2})}}} \right) = {r_1}{r_2}[/tex]

i.e.

[tex]\cos ({\theta _1} - {\theta _2}) = 1[/tex]

or [tex]{\theta _1} - {\theta _2} = 2n\pi [/tex]

You can make this more general if you like.

I'll let you take it from there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook