Complex arithmetic for circuit equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of mesh analysis to find the current in a circuit. The voltages and impedances of the circuit are given, and the formula for the loop equation is provided. It is suggested to solve for I symbolically and then substitute the complex values to solve for the current. The importance of having a schematic is also mentioned.
dave pallamino
Hi,

I am trying to find the current of a circuit using mesh analysis so far I have;

My voltages
V1 = 415 ∠ 90° or 0 + j415
V2 = 415 ∠ 0° or 415 + j0

impedances
Z1 = j4
Z2 = j6

My formula is;

-V1+Z1*I+Z2*I+V2=0

Which equates to;

-0+j415+j4*I+j6*I+415+j0=0

Could someone tell me how to approach this one?

Physics news on Phys.org
Probably easiest to do the straightforward algebra on your loop equation first, solving for I symbolically. Then plug in the complex values and do the complex arithmetic.

Can you post a schematic? We can't help you if we don't know what the circuit looks like.
What do you need help with, solving for I? If that's the case treat this just like any other algebra problem. Get I on one side of the equation and everything else on the other.

ex.
(1+1j)*x-2*j*x+100=0
x(1-j)=-100
x=-100/(1-j)

1. What is complex arithmetic?

Complex arithmetic is a branch of mathematics that deals with numbers containing both real and imaginary components. It involves operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division on complex numbers.

2. How is complex arithmetic used in circuit equations?

Complex arithmetic is used in circuit equations to describe the behavior of electrical circuits. Complex numbers are used to represent the voltage, current, and impedance of different components in the circuit.

3. What is the significance of using complex arithmetic in circuit equations?

The use of complex arithmetic in circuit equations allows us to analyze and solve complex circuits that cannot be solved using traditional algebraic methods. It provides a more accurate representation of the behavior of circuits that contain reactive elements such as capacitors and inductors.

4. Can complex arithmetic be applied to DC circuits?

Yes, complex arithmetic can be applied to DC circuits. In DC circuits, the imaginary components of complex numbers are equal to zero, making them essentially equivalent to real numbers. Therefore, complex arithmetic reduces to traditional algebraic operations in DC circuits.

5. How is complex arithmetic different from real arithmetic?

Complex arithmetic is different from real arithmetic in that it involves operations on numbers with both real and imaginary components, while real arithmetic only deals with numbers on the real number line. Complex numbers also have unique properties, such as having a real and imaginary part, and being represented graphically on a complex plane.