Complex Conjugates: Replacing i & Taking Alpha's Conjugate?

• I
  • Thread starter dyn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complex
My apologies. In the future I will remember that the simplest answer is usually the correct one.In summary, the conversation was about finding the complex conjugate of αe^iα, where α is a complex number. There were some misunderstandings about whether simply replacing i with -i and α with its complex conjugate would give the correct result. However, the correct method is to replace z in the expression e^iz with a+bi, and then find the complex conjugate. It was eventually confirmed that the answer given by the expert, which is to replace i with -i and z with its complex conjugate, is indeed correct.
dyn
Member warned that homework or textbook-style questions must be posted in the Homework sections
Hi. If I have a complex number αe where α is complex what is the conjugate ? Usually I just replace i with -i but do i also take the conjugate of all α's ?
Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
There are rules how to take the complex conjugate of a product of complex numbers, for example. If you don't know the rules you can look them up or derive them yourself (e.g. by writing ##\alpha = \beta+i \gamma## with real ##\beta## and ##\gamma##).

I get the complex conjugate of αe i α as α*e- i α*
Is that right ?

dyn said:
Is that right ?
Not quite. Replacing ##e^{i\alpha}## by ##e^{-i\alpha}## only gives the conjugate if ##\alpha## is real. Try writing ##\alpha=b+ic## and then work out the conjugate of ##e^{b+ic}##.

andrewkirk said:
Try writing ##\alpha=b+ic## and then work out the conjugate of ##e^{b+ic}##.
Or directly find the complex conjugate of ##e^{i(b+ic)}##

I want to emphasize this is not homework. I self-study at home. I do not get homework.
I don't think my previous answer was very clear. So I will try again. I think the complex conjugate of zeiz is z*e-iz*.
Is that correct ?
Thanks

dyn said:
I want to emphasize this is not homework. I self-study at home. I do not get homework.
Even if you are not in a formal class, if the problem is from a textbook or is a textbook-style problem, it should be posted in one of the Homework & Coursework sections, not here in the technical math section.

dyn said:
I don't think my previous answer was very clear. So I will try again. I think the complex conjugate of zeiz is z*e-iz*.
Is that correct ?
Thanks
Could somebody please tell me if my answer is correct for the complex conjugate ?

andrewkirk did in post 4. It is not correct.

andrewkirk said:
Not quite. Replacing ##e^{i\alpha}## by ##e^{-i\alpha}## only gives the conjugate if ##\alpha## is real. Try writing ##\alpha=b+ic## and then work out the conjugate of ##e^{b+ic}##.
I have replaced iz in the exponential by - i times the conjugate of z. If that is not right can someone please tell what the right answer is ?

What is the complex conjugate of ##e^{a+ib}## with real a and b?
Can you bring ##i \alpha## in this shape?

conjugate of ea+ib is ea-ib
conjugate of ei(a+ib) is e-i(a-ib)
So the conjugate of eiz is e-iz* ?
So all i's are replaced by -i and and all complex numbers by their complex congates ?

dyn said:
conjugate of ea+ib is ea-ib
What is the simplified form of the last expression above?
dyn said:
So the conjugate of eiz is e-iz* ?
So all i's are replaced by -i and and all complex numbers by their complex congates ?

dyn said:
It is not. Consider a=0, b=1 for example.

Edit: See below.

Last edited:
mfb said:
It is not. Consider a=0, b=1 for example.

If a=0 and b=1 then ei(a+ib) is a real number e-1 so the number and its complex conjugate are the same. I have no idea why I keep being told I am wrong. Can someone please tell me what the complex conjugate of zeiz is ?

One of the properties of the complex conjugate (alluded to in post #2) is that ##\overline{zw} = \bar z \cdot \bar w##.
So, ##\overline{ze^{iz}} = \bar z \cdot \overline{e^{iz}}##

Although ##\overline{e^{ia}} = \overline{e^{-ia}}## if a is real, this formula isn't applicable if a is a complex number. As already suggested, replace z in the expression ##e^{iz}## by a + bi, and find the conjugate of ##e^{iz}##.

I think that your answer is correct. Setting z = a +ib where a & b are real, I get:
(ei(a+ib))* = e-be-ia
and
e-i(a+ib)* = e-be-ia

So (eiz)* = e-iz*
Using this in your problem gives your result.

Likes dyn
I got an answer from a lecturer at a top university who told me just replace i with -i and z with z* which is what i had been saying all along. I'm not sure why some people disagreed with this

Sorry, I missed a minus sign in your previous post.
Your answer is right.

mfb said:
Sorry, I missed a minus sign in your previous post.
Your answer is right.
Thank you. I was beginning to think I was going mad !

dyn said:
I got an answer from a lecturer at a top university who told me just replace i with -i and z with z* which is what i had been saying all along. I'm not sure why some people disagreed with this
My initial reaction was that there could not be an identity that simple that was not well known. I was surprised by it. That is probably why most people, including myself, assumed that it was not true.

1. What are complex conjugates?

Complex conjugates are pairs of complex numbers that have the same real part but opposite imaginary parts. For example, the complex conjugates of 2+3i are 2-3i.

2. How do you replace i with its complex conjugate in an expression?

To replace i with its complex conjugate, simply change the sign of the imaginary part. For example, if the expression is 3+4i, the new expression would be 3-4i.

3. Why is it important to take the conjugate of alpha?

Taking the conjugate of alpha is important because it allows us to simplify complex expressions and solve equations involving complex numbers. It also helps us understand the relationship between complex numbers and their conjugates.

4. How do you find the conjugate of a complex number?

To find the conjugate of a complex number, simply change the sign of the imaginary part. For example, the conjugate of 5+2i is 5-2i.

5. Can complex conjugates be used in real-life applications?

Yes, complex conjugates are used in various fields of science and engineering, such as signal processing, electrical engineering, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in solving certain mathematical problems and equations.