Complex Cross Product and Area of a parallelogram

• Thread starter mattmns
  • Start date
Hello, just a quick question.

I have two complex numbers (say z and z'), and I want to find the area of the parallelogram that is generated by the two complex numbers (written as vectors, ie, if z = x + iy is a complex number, then the vector is (x,y)).

Now the area of the parallelogram generated by z and z' is |z x z'|

However, when I compute z x z' I get what I would consider a "scalar" and then I am asked to take the "magnitude" (or is it "absolute value") of this "scalar." Do I just take the "absolute value"?

For example.

say z = 1 + i, and z' = 1 + 2i
then z x z' = (1)(2) - (1)(1) = 2 - 1 = 1.
The area is |z x z'| = |1|. Is this the absolute value of 1 (which would equal 1) ?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

StatusX
Homework Helper
The cross product is really only defined in 3D. But you can apply it in 2D by just taking the third coordinate as 0. So (x,y,0) X (x',y',0) = (0,0,xy'-x'y). Now if z=x+iy and z'=x'+iy', can you think of a way of expressing xy'-x'y in terms of z and z'?

Yes, xy' - x'y = Im(~zz') [That is the Imaginary part of (conjugate of z times z')]. (I am not sure how to put a bar over z) However, I must be missing how this is connected to whether or not I am supposed to just take the "absolute value" of z x z' to get the area of the parallelogram spanned by z and z'. Could you elaborate? Thanks.

edit... hmmm... Maybe you are getting at that our new vector is (0, xy' -x'y) since z x z' = Im(~zz'), then we can take the "magnitude" (the modulus) which would be just the absolute value as I suspected.

Sorry about loosely using the terms magnitude, and absolute value.

Last edited:
HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
"Area" is, by definition, a non-negative real number. Taking the cross product as you are, with the z-component of each vector 0, gives a vector with both x- and y-components 0. The area is the length of that vector, the absolute value of the z-component.