1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex exponential expressions.

1. Aug 31, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I just need some kind of explanation in layman's terms of what exactly is going on here. It seems as though I am missing some key element from trig. I am in a Signals class and the book lacks an explanation of the reduction used and ultimately why.

2. Relevant equations

I have attached a .pdf of the files.
    View attachment Document1.pdf
    3. The attempt at a solution

Ok, so in "b": I do not understand the simplification or reduction to the side, where 4pi is added. Also I think the same method occurs in the third answer of "d".

Also, is the reason there are 3 answers for "d" because of the cube root? If someone could just provide a short explanation as to why, that would be helpful.

Thank you so much in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

What they're doing in b is adding multiples of 2##\pi## so as to get a positive angle.

From Euler's formula, eix = cos(x) + i*sin(x). This represents a complex number whose magnitude is 1, and that makes an angle of x radians measured counterclockwise from the positive Real axis. Note that mathematicians use i for the imaginary unit, and engineers use j.

Adding 2##\pi## or multiples of 2##\pi## to the exponent to get ei(x + 2##\pi##) doesn't change anything except the angle. This complex number still has a magnitude of 1 - the only difference is that the angle is now x + 2##\pi##, which gets you to exactly the same point on the unit circle.

In the same way that a number has two square roots, it will have three cube roots, four fourth roots, and so on. A real number, such as 8 has one real cube root (2) and two complex cube roots.

4. Sep 1, 2012 #3
    So, it is just commonplace to work within the unit circle? I mean for my calculator both arguments produce the same answer, I just appropriate the negative when using Euler's formula.

Thanks again.

Oh and by the way, I am on my way to be an EE so its "j" for me -here on out!

5. Sep 1, 2012 #4

Bacle2

Science Advisor

The complex exponential is periodic with (argument) period equal to 2Pi. So if you

go around n times, then ez= ez+2n∏ for n=1,2,...... and

ez+2n∏ is equivalent to going around a circle n times.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook