Complex functions, (z+i)^5 + (z-i)^5

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the equation (z+i)^5 + (z-i)^5 = 0 and finding the five possible values for z. The conversation presents two methods, one using trigonometry and the other using complex numbers, to arrive at the solutions of z = cot[pi(1 + 2n)/10], where n = 0, 1, 2, 3, 4. The latter method is considered neater and involves substituting z = cotθ into the equation.
L-x

Homework Statement

solve

(z+i)^5 + (z-i)^5 = 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found the five possible values for z by expanding the original expression into powers of z and i. The imaginary terms cancel exactly, leaving a cubic equation in z which is easily solvable as one of its roots is z=0.
The answers quote the solutions as z = cot[pi(1 + 2n)/10], n = 0, 1, 2, 3, 4. The values I obtained are z=0, z^2=5+sqrt(20), z^2=5-sqrt(20).

My answers are roots of the equation, but the way that the solutions are written suggests that there is a (probably neater) method than the one I used which uses trigonometry. Can anyone see it?

Physics news on Phys.org
so you did as follows, to get to a quadratic equation in z^2?
(z+i)^5 = z^5 + 5z^4i + 10z^3i^2 + 10z^2i^3 + 5zi^4 + i^5
(z-i)^5 = z^5 - 5z^4i + 10z^3i^2 - 10z^2i^3 + 5zi^4 - i^5

(z+i)^5 + (z-i)^5 = 2z^5 + 20z^3i^2 + 10zi^4
= 2z^5 - 20z^3 + 10z
= 2z(z^4 - 10z^2 + 5)

yes, exactly that.

another way to look at it could be
(z+i)^5 = -(z-i)^5
(z+i)^5 = (i-z)^5

but not too sure where to go from here...

might be worth writing cot[pi(1 + 2n)/10] in terms of complex numbers and substituting into the equation to see why it works

Hi L-x! :smile:
L-x said:
… the way that the solutions are written suggests that there is a (probably neater) method than the one I used which uses trigonometry. Can anyone see it?

Write the equation as ((z+i)/(z-i))5 = -1.

Then substitute z = cotθ. :wink:

thanks, that's quite a lot neater.

1. What are complex functions?

Complex functions are mathematical functions that involve complex numbers, which are numbers that have both a real and imaginary component. These functions are typically written in the form f(z), where z is a complex variable.

2. How do you simplify the expression (z+i)^5 + (z-i)^5?

To simplify this expression, you can use the binomial theorem, which states that (a+b)^n = Σ(n,k=0) nCk * a^(n-k) * b^k, where nCk is the binomial coefficient. In this case, a = z and b = i or -i, depending on which term you are evaluating. After applying the theorem and simplifying, the expression can be written as 32iz^3 + 32z.

3. What is the significance of (z+i)^5 + (z-i)^5 in mathematics?

This expression is significant in mathematics because it is an example of a complex function and demonstrates the use of the binomial theorem. It also showcases the properties of complex numbers and how they can be manipulated in mathematical expressions.

4. How can you graph (z+i)^5 + (z-i)^5?

Since complex functions involve both real and imaginary components, they cannot be graphed on a traditional x-y plane. Instead, they are typically graphed on a complex plane, with the real component represented on the horizontal axis and the imaginary component represented on the vertical axis. This expression would result in a graph with a spiral pattern.

5. What are some practical applications of (z+i)^5 + (z-i)^5?

Complex functions have numerous applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. In particular, this expression could be used to model oscillating systems or to solve differential equations with complex solutions. It could also be used in financial modeling or in signal processing for telecommunications.