Complex / imaginary numbers trigonometric graphs

In summary, the person is asking for help finding a graph that represents complex numbers in all 4 quadrants and shows the use of pi in each quadrant. They ask for assistance in finding the graph and provide a link that they found on Google.
MegaDeth
Hi, I have been representing complex numbers in graphical form in school recently. My teacher was telling me about a graph which shows all 4 quadrants and basically shows you what each quadrant is in terms of pi. Hopefully you understand what I mean, I have been looking on the internet for this graph but I can't seem to find it. If you know somewhere where it is, can you please tell me? Thanks. I need it so I can see if I have to minus pi or add it.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What are complex numbers and how are they represented?

Complex numbers are numbers that have both a real and imaginary part. They are often represented in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part, with i being the imaginary unit (√-1).

2. How do you graph a complex number in the complex plane?

To graph a complex number in the complex plane, you can plot the real part on the x-axis and the imaginary part on the y-axis. The point where the two axes intersect represents the complex number in the form of (a, bi).

3. What is the relationship between complex numbers and trigonometry?

Complex numbers can be written in polar form as r(cosθ + isinθ), where r is the magnitude of the complex number and θ is the angle it makes with the positive real axis. This allows us to use trigonometric functions to represent complex numbers and their operations.

4. How do you graph trigonometric functions of complex numbers?

To graph trigonometric functions of complex numbers, we can use the polar form of complex numbers and plot points on the complex plane. For example, to graph sin(z), we can plot points of the form (sin(θ), 0) which will give us the graph of a circle.

5. What is the significance of complex numbers in real-world applications?

Complex numbers have various applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. They are used to represent and analyze alternating currents, oscillations, and electrical circuits. They are also used in signal processing, control systems, and financial analysis.